• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Karlsruhe (1 Viewer)

mallingbirder

In Karlsruhe this coming week for a couple of days (on business) and wondering what's about the area if I get a spare hour. I'm central Karlsruhe exhbition halls on SW ouitskirts.

Adam

There are only three birders in Karlsruhe who regularly put their sightings online and they (naturally) focus on the Rhine. Worth your while could be the Altrhein/Knielinger See just south of the bridge to Maximiliansau. Two Ferruginous Ducks there today, Black Woodpecker present (and I assume a good chance of Middle Spotted). It's quite a long way from the Messe (which I assume is where you are) though.
The large patch of forest just south of the Zoo & Railway station (Oberwald) harbours the usual (in a German context) woodpeckers and should be easier to reach.

Thanks guys - I'm staying in a hotel in central Karlsruhe just north of the zoo and at an exhibition at Messe, but looks like I'll only be able to get early in centre (if at all) and may be a walk from the exhibition centre. Black Woodpecker would be a cracking bird, but not likely where I am I suppose!

Black Woodpecker means Schwarzspecht in german.

check www.ornitho.de

choice
"Letzten 7 Tage" for last 7 days
"BW" for Baden Würtemberg
"KA" for Karlsruhe

Maybe create an account than You have also possibility of contact this person which so Black Woodpecker.

Thanks but back in UK now - no time to get out as business so busy, so limited to 'buzzards' from the motorway. Likely to visit again so all above info will be useful -thanks!

If you get back, make sure to visit Waghäusel and/or similar places along the Rhine. These riparian forests are quite good for woodpeckers, and you can theoretically get Black, Greater/Middle/Lesser Spotted, Green, and Grey-headed Woodpecker in Waghäusel, even though it's primarily a wetland reserve (at least Black Woodpecker is a pretty safe bet there, in my experience). Not to mention the species the place is known for - Purple Heron, Bluethroat, Penduline and Bearded Tit and a variety of ducks (some of these obviously depending on season).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back