• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Milton Loch & Loch Ken 22/2/03 (1 Viewer)

JJM

We left Glasgow at 0830 and drove down to Dumfries & Galloway and headed for Milton Loch (off the A75 9 miles WSW of Dumfries), on the loch was a good selection of waterfowl including a drake Lesser Scaup, female (Greater) Scaup, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Wigeon & Goldeneye. An immature Peregrine flew over just before we left.
Left Milton Loch and headed for Loch Ken RSPB Reserve, almost as soon as we got out of the car a Red Kite flew along the shore of Loch Ken and then flew off west. Walking along the track to the goose viewing platform we saw a nice selection of commoner birds including Fieldfare, Redwing, Great, Blue & Coal Tit, Chaffinch and 3 Ravens which flew past us. From the goose viewing platform we saw Canada, Greylag and Pink-footed Geese but no sign of the Greenland White-fronts, we also saw a group of Pintail from the platform. We then walked along the track towards the hide and I heard a Brambling calling but we could not locate the bird, we continued on to the hide, a group of 4 Bullfinch were feeding near the hide, once in the hide we had superb views of 2 Willow Tits which were coming to a peanut feeder outside the hide along with Great, Blue and Coal Tits.
When we left the hide we headed back to the goose viewing platform (saw a Red Squirrel on the way back) and managed to see a small group of Greenland White-fronts in flight as well as a high flying Red Kite, we walked backed to the car park and there was a group of 9 Greenland White-fronted Geese feeding close to the car park allowing great views through the scope.
On the way home a male Merlin flew over the M74 (2km south of J12, Douglas), all in all a good day out with clear blue skies albeit a bit on the cold side

Enjoyed the read. I have driven through that area but never birdied there. I knew about Loch Ken from my fishing days as it was a well known hot spot even down here in England.

Some nice birds there especially the Red Kite. I'm not sure if I have heard of the Red Kite in that area before. Are they a usual sighting?

A illustrative read I am picturing a huge loch with mountainous surroundings and a bit of mist in the hills. Close?

It's like a widening of the river, I remember reading about this Loch in fishing magazines and seeing anglers sitting out in the water because of the conifer trees being too close to the shore. Anglers used modified feeders specially for this place to catch roach during the festivals.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back