• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Sky full of raptors. Can anyone help with id? (1 Viewer)

Garrulous Jay

England
Can anyone help me with these raptors, seen over Bishoftu (Debre Zeit) in the Ethiopian Rift Valley in December 2014? There are many kites (presumably all the local yellow billed variety of Milvus migrans), some hooded vultures, a larger tawny eagle to the right side, several other eagles with a broad white stripe in the centre of the wing which I think are Steppe eagles, but I am stumped with the two central eagles with wings pointed roughly top to bottom). This was my first time with these African eagles and I can't find anything like these two in my Redman, Stevenson et al. so I am guessing.

Attachments

• RaptorskyforBF.jpg
    RaptorskyforBF.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 302
They look like Cape Griffon Vultures to me. Circling over a lion killed buffalo in December 2014, at approximately 17.36 in the afternoon. I should be on Who wants to be a millionaire :smoke:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back