• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland March 2015 - general advice (1 Viewer)

nicklittlewood

We're off to Iceland 8-12 March. We're planning to be just in the west: Keflavík/Reykjavik up to Grundarfjörður/Kolgrafafjörður (to look for Orcas), etc. Having not been to Iceland before, I wonder if anyone can help with these questions:

1. I know the weather is unpredictable but is a conventional hire car (with winter tyres) likely to suffice for these areas. Would a basic 4x4 (which is approaching twice the cost) add any significant benefit?
2. If it stays around, are there any tips for seeing the Hooded Merganser at Hrauntúnstjörn/Reykjavík (e.g. direction, coordinates)?
3. Gyr - random chance anywhere I assume but are they attracted to Rykjavik harbour at that time of year.
4. Brünnich's Guillemot - is it way too early for any to be at breeding sites? And if so, what are the chances of picking up the species randomly offshore somewhere?
5. Arctic Fox - any hints for any areas that are readily accessible in March that might produce Arctic Fox in March?

I've already seen Birding Iceland Facebook and The Icelandic Birding Pages, which have proved to be useful resources.

Any further tips or recommendations for these queries appreciated.

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back