• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron BGA Classic 7x36 or Imagic BGA SE 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Jinty85

Does anyone have any advice which one to go for? I'm looking for a binouclar for butterfly watching and bird watching in forests. I figured a smaller one would be best. I can get both of these for a discounted price. Which should I go for?

SORRY _ THE TITLE IS WRONG. IT SHOULD BE IMAGIC 8x32

Last edited:
Jinty,

In spite of being a similar weight and size, being manufactured around the same time, almost certainly by the same company, they are very different offerings. The Classic has a 7.2* view and 50.4* AFOV while the Imagic has 8* and 64* AFOV so is the clear winner there. The Classic probably has the sharper edges, but it has a much more pronounced field curvature so smaller sweet spot but also means it has a better perceived DOF. The Classic has the 5.1mm exit pupil compared to the Imagic's 4mm which gives it a 76% advantage in low light. Both list a close focus of 2m but my Classic gets below 5ft (1.5m) which might be useful. There is a bit of sharpness variability in both models so I suggest you check them carefully.

As you might have gathered I chose the Classic and don't regret it. Just preferred the ergonomic, relaxed view and low light capability in a relatively small package. Although I'd call it my main binocular it's not my only one and have others, including high powers for other situations.

David

Jinty,

In spite of being a similar weight and size, being manufactured around the same time, almost certainly by the same company, they are very different offerings. The Classic has a 7.2* view and 50.4* AFOV while the Imagic has 8* and 64* AFOV so is the clear winner there. The Classic probably has the sharper edges, but it has a much more pronounced field curvature so smaller sweet spot but also means it has a better perceived DOF. The Classic has the 5.1mm exit pupil compared to the Imagic's 4mm which gives it a 76% advantage in low light. Both list a close focus of 2m but my Classic gets below 5ft (1.5m) which might be useful. There is a bit of sharpness variability in both models so I suggest you check them carefully.

As you might have gathered I chose the Classic and don't regret it. Just preferred the ergonomic, relaxed view and low light capability in a relatively small package. Although I'd call it my main binocular it's not my only one and have others, including high powers for other situations.

David

Thanks for that very thorough message, David. Seems you like the Classic!!!! Also sounds like the sharpness and contrast might be quite similar?

Just one thing - the close focus for the Imagic 8x32 is listed as 1.5m so that might be better?

Thanks for that very thorough message, David. Seems you like the Classic!!!! Also sounds like the sharpness and contrast might be quite similar?

Just one thing - the close focus for the Imagic 8x32 is listed as 1.5m so that might be better?

Not sure how I misread the Imagic minimum focus, but it sounds like they might be similar in practice.

I think if you were to spend some time comparing the two models on offer side by side in very good light you might identify small differences in colour, contrast, brightness, and sharpness, on top of the other stuff I mention, but although I have a preference, they are really more similar on those points than different. Go with what works for you.

David

P.S. I wrote a report on the Classic some time ago: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224112

Last edited:
I had the older Imagic 8x32. It was a very good binocular. The newer version should be even better. I notice it's available at a good discount (£245) from Uttings, surely a bargain, if you are in the market for such a size.
I also tried the Imagic 7x42. This has a similar FOV to the Classic. I sent it back as it had a performance fault/issue. It also gave quite a narrow apparent field of view, something that I suspect would have become an issue for me after a while.

I certainly prefer a 7x in a roof these days, but from the choices you suggest, my easy choice would be with the 8x32.
Can't you get somewhere to try them, and others?

Dave

EDIT: just as a thought, perhaps the resale value of an 8x32 will remain higher than a 7x too?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back