• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last 2 days of trip urgent help! (1 Viewer)

Dr_ADH

All bit last minute this but can anyone suggest a place that has good birding that's not more than 2/3 hours from San Jose airport by public transport, with a swimming pool and some sun!
We fly at 5 on sunday; we're in tortuguero and leave here tomorrow, so 2 possibly 3 nights if we can get there direct from here.
I'd ideally like to complement our trip thus far but my girlfriend def wants time in the pool!
We've been to la selva, bosque de paz, la ensenada, carara area, and here.
I've tried bosque de tollomuco but a landslide means journey time is too high. Rancho naturalista no pool. Was recommended a place at cahuita but its too far.
I was thinking of around Poas but volcano lodge doesnt have a pool and I'm concerned it will be wet and too cold.
I know of the hotel bouganvillea but not sure it merits 2/3 nights?
Any suggestions v gratefully received!
Thanks
Adam

Sent from my iPad

just to inform if it's any use.
we spent a night at villa san ignacio, but found the noise of the trucks too much. It was constant from 5am; the villa is on a main junction and a hill, so the trucks are going full pelt (and v slowly) up the hill constantly. If you did want to chill by the pool then you have to accept it ain't gonna be peaceful... I saw v similar birds including the Blue Crowned Motmot (which I also saw at hotel bougainvillea), with a pair of squirrel cuckoos too. OK at start of a trip but not much to be seen once you've had a few days in CR. We had the restriction of needing a pool, so were v limited. I'd say if anything stay further up towards Poas volcano if possible.

Hi, Adam -

Sorry San Ignacio didn't work out for you. We have absolutely no memory of any traffic noise problems and would not have suggested it if we had. Did you stay in the main lodge which is much closer to the main road? Our two nights were in the buildings up the hill (as shown in the attached picture). They are more on the side road, away from the intersection.

Besides a life bird, Plain-capped Starthroat, we were happy to see Motmots, Rufous-capped Warblers, Cactus Wrens, Orioles, Blue-and-white Swallows, Yellow-green and Yellow-throated Vireos, Doves, Tanagers, Woodpeckers, Saltators, Doves, Jays, etc. It's hard to find much better birding than that within minutes from the airport.

For a night before departure, we're trying Tacacori Lodge (http://www.tacacori.com/tarifs.php?lang=en) on our visit in April. A little outside of Alajuela on the way to Poas, we're hoping it offers reasonably good birding abeit at a higher price than we are used to paying.

Steve

Attachments

• Las Orchideas (San Ignacio).jpg
    Las Orchideas (San Ignacio).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back