• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Horned Owls hooting and hunting question (1 Viewer)

I hear a female and male owl hooting a lot in the vacant properties behind my backyard. I really want to find a Great Horned Owl nest someday. I live in south Florida and usually hear the owls hooting in the fall, but this time the hooting seemed to mostly start in February. I've seen the two owls sitting in a tree together a couple times now. From what I've read online it says they usually have laid eggs by now but I'm guessing the owls I'm hearing don't have a nest they've moved into, eggs or owlets. I wouldn't think they would hoot so much if they did, but I'm not sure. Do they continue to hoot to each other after they've found their mate and laid eggs? Also, when there are owlets, are both parents still around, and would they both leave the owlets at the same time to go hunt?

i think one guards the chicks they are fierce at protecting them to the point of being scary I dont even think adult raccoons will go near a great horned owls nest but they raid red tail hawks nests.

I saw some nasty wounds on hunting dogs and could not believe a owl did that, looked like it had been attacked by freddy krugar lol I was curious if they also nest on the ground like the snowy owl? I read about two skuas killing a nesting mother snowy owl on BNA birds online under snowy owl mortality. It was a shocker they managed to do that.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back