• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woolston Eyes Starling Murmurations this morning!! (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
We got to the reserve early this morning (in the hide for 06.20) and within 15 minutes were rewarded by REALLY amazing close ups of the event.

We chose the 1st hide and WOW!!!
I am told there are upwards of 200,000 there at present so our guestimate is as follows....................
N.B. these figures are based on a) my being told there are 200-300,000 there and b) that there were just 2 main flocks leaving. Personally I wouldn't have a clue how to estimate such a flock :)

The first wave of perhaps 2-3,000 took off.
2 minutes later..........perhaps 100,000 took off. They came right at us and flew low directly over the hide.
The noise was amazing.
Next came perhaps 50,000 followed by smaller flocks.

All over in 15 minutes.
We were well wrapped up as it was very cold BUT well worth the effort :)

And as a bonus we saw 2 female Hen Harriers............definitely 2........at the same time and some 300-500 metres apart. One came very close to the hide.........low and to our right.

Last edited:
A Marsh Harrier has been seen regularly but i've not heard any reports of Hen Harrier from the reserve for some time. I would suggest you post your sighting on the Woolston Eyes website.

CB

A Marsh Harrier has been seen regularly but i've not heard any reports of Hen Harrier from the reserve for some time. I would suggest you post your sighting on the Woolston Eyes website.

CB

I just got back from tonights spectacle and immediately came onto BF to correct my error.
You are quite correct..........they were Marsh-not Hen Harriers.
There were definitely 2 as we saw them at the same time yesterday.
Tonight we saw the one........plus 2 (maybe 3) Sparrow Hawks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back