• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

remote low-mountainous lake areas in north Nagaland and Sikkim? (1 Viewer)

Hello all, as some of you may know I have been on a quite a few searches for surviving pink-headed duck populations in Myanmar. Recent surveys in the Naga Zone in Myanmar in an unsurveyed and pristine habitat over five days yielded no evidence of the species.

However, some information has come in regarding the species possible survival in a more northern area in Myanmar near Myitktina in Kachin state: two ducks were killed and eaten by a people in the Chipwe area, and two Burmese sources connected to BANCA and FFI feel confident this refers to pink-headed duck. However, I am unable to visit as the area is off-limits due to the political climate, but what is immensely interesting is that the area is not consistent with the classic marshland habitats that we know of: being a lowland mountain-locked and cooler environment.

My aim is twofold, hopefully receive information regarding the kind of habitat that lies directly westwards from Myitkyina, Myanmar... into north-eastern India.. if it matches just this kind of habitat (Google Earth helps, but if anyone has further information...

More importantly, I would be extremely grateful to receive contributions regarding remote areas of lakeland in the north-east of India, especially in Sikkim (the so-called Switzerland of India) and northern Nagaland. For research purposes also Arunchal Pradesh although I appreciate travel there is unwise at present. . I would love to also examine any townships in this environment that might have a market where recently-collected wildfowl may be sold as a food source.

If anyone has been to these places and can provide any contributions, I would be really grateful. Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back