• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Birds in Japan? (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Hello everyone, with Birding experience or knowledge of everyday life in Japan!

I´m trying to compile a short list of the most Common birds in Urban Japan, a list of the most conspicuous or striking birds that the "average Japanese" ( that is, true amateurs, non-ornithologist, people without any birding experience or previous knowledge of Birds) will meet, in their everyday life, on their way to school, work or in Gardens and Parks.
A short list of Birds (about 20) just about impossible to miss in the most populated areas, in Tokyo (Tokyo -Yokohama), Osaka and/or Nagoya. Unmistakable all year round or in its typical season.

Any suggestions?

Every help is warmly welcomed!

And no limits; the more nomination lists, the more participants, the better!

I'm no expert on Japan, but based on a recent trip, these seemed common in urban or semi-urban areas...

Tree Sparrow
Large-billed Crow
Carrion Crow
Black-eared Kite
Rock Dove/Feral Pigeon
Japanese Tit
Oriental Turtle Dove
Brown-eared Bulbul
White Wagtail
Dusky Thrush
White-cheeked Starling

"Common People" in Japan will already know what birds are there. Why have you taken this task on yourself?
I doubt that most Japanese know the names of the most common birds in their close surroundings, but if so, congratulations. That would make Japan unique compared to most Countries in the world. And this wasn´t my impression when I visited in 2013. If needed this list would end up in some kind of information folder, booklet.

But if it is like you claim, that every (non-birding) Japanese already know their birds, there might be no need for such information. However I think there is.

Hi
I would add :
Japanese White-eye (all year, parks)
Japanese Bush Warbler (conspicuous by voice in spring, suburban parkland and woods)
Meadow Bunting (all year, suburban parkland)
Grey Heron (large ponds in parks, river side)
Little Egret (similar)
White Wagtail (near water)

I will try to conclude a final, little list, of twenty, and post it here, in a couple of weeks ... or in due course.

good idea, I'm off to Tokyo for a long weekend in August and want to try to get a days "birding" in

Would be good to know what I can expect

Sorry Bill,

Unfortunately the list will not be compiled before the end of August ... most likely even later. There´s still quite a few sources to read before that.

In any case: have a nice stay in Japan, it´s a fantastic place!

Björn

End note ...

Dear all,
Long overdue I have to inform you that my promised short list of Common Birds in Japan have been cancelled. I´ve now realized that I neither have the time nor the full knowledge to compile such list, not in a fully truthful, relevant and accurate way.

In any case, I´m very grateful for your help, in this my failed attempt.

THANKS!

Björn

PS. Please feel free to do one yourself. And then circulate it! Every contribution to increase awareness on birds in Japan (for a large public) is surely needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back