• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Kaiserstuhl (1 Viewer)

flible

Hello all,
I will be heading this summer to Kaiserstuhl for a holiday, between the end of July and the beginning of August. I'm looking forward greatly to the trip, but I know very little about the area. If anyone has any information on the best places to see specific species or just all round good birding, please comment below, any help is much appreciated. I was hoping to see Bee-eater, Hoopoe and Wryneck and any other specialties which the area produces.

Ich verstehe auch deutsch wenn Sie kein englisch sprechen. Vielen Dank.

Many thanks,
Ephraim

Hi Ephraim,

the Kaiserstuhl isn't a very large area, if you have 2-3 days to spend there, you'll find the birds without much difficulty. If you want detailed directions, the best source is the book "Vögel beobachten in Süddeutschland". There you also find info on good sites in the sourroundings, like Freiburg for Alpine Swift, Taubergiessen for Middle Spotted WP, Black Forest for Nutcracker etc.

If you don't want to buy the book for just one chapter, I can also scan you the Kaiserstuhl pages, give me a PM.

Best, Florian

Check ornitho.de

e.g.
Alpine Swift ( Alpensegler )
in Freiburg at Church St. Martin 47,59 47 N, 7,50 59 E
Personalhaus/ human ressources Universty Hospital 48,0 12 N 7,49 59 E

check ornitho for
Melodious Warbler ( Orpheusspötter ) e.g. near Freiburg for instance Freiburger Rieselfeld
Cirl Bunting ( Zaunammer ) e.g. Freiburg one is reported today
or Vogelsangpass 48, 5 11 N, 7,41 32 E

Around Eichstetten
check for Hoopoe ( Wiedehopf )

Oberbergen
nordwest check for Beeater ( Bienenfresser )
nord for Beeater and Hoopoe
nordeast Beeater and Hoopoe
south for Wryneck ( Wendehals )

Niederotweil
southeast for Beeater
Turtle Dove ( Turteltaube )

Betweeen Achkarren and Bickensohl
Beeater and Hoopoe

Meadows of Sasbach
Little Owl ( Steinkauz )

http://www.birdinggermany.de/baden-wurttemberg.htm

If You understand German language look at ornitho.de
choice area like
FR* Freiburg town
FR greater area of Freiburg

choice e.g. "seltene" for rare
alternativ "sehr seltene" for very rare

or

also Cirl Buntng was reported there on 31.5.

Last edited:
I went to the this area in August and saw probably the last Bee-Eaters in all of Germany before they also left for migration. It was very hot. No luck on the Hoopoe though.

Hoopoe is not very common in Germany.
Beeater is increasing in some areas especially south west of city Halle ( Saxony Anhalt ).
This bird prefers warmer and dryer areas.
Until end of August it was very hot in Germany, but temperature dropped down very quick, begin of September.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back