• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Porro, Opticron HRWP or Optolyth 10x50 Alpin (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

Hi, there,

I would appreciate comments from users of either of these 10x bins, and preferably those board members who have used them both.
I need long eye relief because of my specs!
I recently bought the Opticron Savanna 8x30 WP and like it for the three dimensional image it gives and, as I can buy either of the above second-hand within my budget, some help would be appreciated. I suspect the Nikon SE 10x 42 may best both of them but the new ones available to me, in the UK , I cannot afford for awhile.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I've never seen the Opotlyth. I wasn't able to figure out when it was discontinued but it seems a while back and prior to that there were a number of changes which seem to be reported as retrograde steps. I did find something in an old review by Dana Bunner from the mid '90s which might help.

"Optolyth Alpin 10x50: Center of field sharpness was very good with a wide "sweet spot." Off-center was very good, lense-edge sharpness was good with only a slight amount of fuzziness. I rank them as best in the group for sharpness. FOV is narrow, almost exactly the same as the Celestron Ultima 10x50. Eye Relief was excellent. Depth of field was good, ranking in the middle of the group. Close focus was average, somewhere around 18-19'. Contrast was very good, particularly under sunlight (but see below on coatings). Focusing w/o eyeglasses was very good. They were extraordinarily lightweight for a rubber-coated 50mm. Image color and brightness was slightly subdued, Optolyth's "Ceralin" coating is claimed to reduce haze and glare under bright sun, but it appears to slightly impact visible light. Colors were just a touch "warmer" with a hint of yellow. There was a very slight loss in brightness. The basic design is essentially the same as the Ultima 10x50, stressing image sharpness and eye relief over FOV and close focus, however it is better than the Ultima in all respects. It is left to the individual purchaser to decide if the difference is worth $150."

Of course the Opticron is still in production and possibly the last of a few different models made with an internal focus like roof designs. It is fully waterproof unlike most CF porros which are at best, water resistant. I suspect the more modern coatings on the HRWP would be more neutral than the more dated Optolyth but still a little on the warm side compared to some modern offerings. The view is not particularly wide and there is also quite a pronounced field curvature which means the sweet spot is smaller than some but together with the wide objective spacing delivers a good 3-D effect and perceived depth of field. It is obviously quite bulky compared to roof designs but very comfortable and well balanced in the hand. For me, the most pleasing feature is how sharp it is; better than some roofs at many times the price.

You might want to compare the HRWP with more conventional Opticron SRGA 10x50 if you a looking for a larger exit pupil which I found similarly sharp.

David

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Optolyth Alpin 12 x 50 well over 30 years ago and at the time I thought they were great.They were bought for watching raptors on the local moors when carrying a scope was not a real option.I thought they were the dog's b******s at the time they are still used on the odd occasion but no longer can I hold that magnification steady.I would certainly go for Opticron myself but I have not got the experience of guys like Typo and others on this forum.Opticron have a wide range of styles and price range available,very rare to hear serious complaints about them.I recently purchased Opticron Countryman 8x32 as a good combination of magnification a field of view probably the best I have used in over 50 years birding,they just about sold themselves in the shop and that is from a birder who has always sworn by porro style,might still be tempted with 8x 32 SRGA just for the hell of it,better not tell her indoors though !!

I have a second hand 12×50 Alpin, which is a bit disappointing as it has moisture condensed internally, and which I haven't had cleaned off.
Holger Merlitz, in his review, I think says it is actually only 42 mm. The exit pupil does look cut off strangely and small.
I compared it to the Russian 12×45, and they were about equal, with the Russian one being perhaps a bit better, although people say the Russian binocular has a yellow colour cast. You cannot use the Russian one with glasses, as it has insufficient eye relief.

A professional who deals with the Alpines says that in fact if the 12×50, nominally 50 mm, is cleaned it should be a lot better than the Russian one. But I doubt if the resolution will actually be better.

Admittedly, the Alpin is very low weight and many people love them.

I don't know what the true aperture of the 10×50 Alpin is.

Thank you, Typo, Pete, and Binastro for sparing the time to give me such food for thought.

Apart from my mind being on this I was researching the Nikon 10x50 Action Supreme, allegedly new, that was to close late this afternoon on Ebay.

I could find references to people liking this model but not much to support their likings. The weight bothered me and also the paucity of comparative or independent reviews. I did not bid, and the bins went for £75.00 including postage.

I came across reservations about the Optolyths and have been bitten once by the company’s poor engineering although I was impressed by optical quality.

I had considered saving for the Canon IS 12x bins, but the eye relief is likely to be a deal killer.

Because of Opticron’s price base site layout, I had not looked at their SRGA model an was surprised to learn that it was discontinued 7 or 8 years ago. They do not seem to have sold out and, maybe they weren’t very popular, but I cannot guess why. I found nothing for sale on ebay, and no signs of discounting.

I suspect I may choose the HRWP. but the fence is becoming uncomfortable.

I will try the bed in awhile and see whether I reach a decision overnight.

Please feel free to throw other options at me!

Thanks again,

The-Wanderer

Hi, all

I went to Sherwoods website to check the availability of the Opticron hr wp 10x50 demo ,but it had gone. Ah well it goes to show if dithering goes on too long, decisions are made for you!

I ordered the Hilkinson Dartmouth and now have to wait until next week for it to arrive.

My concerns about it related to the Stephen Tonkins' review of its eye relief suggesting it might be unsatisfactory for me www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/10x50wp.html .

Fingers crossed that I like it. In any event, my thanks to you all.

Hi, all,

I am a recliner, and occasional hide, birder. I have spent much of the day in my recliner, with my newly arrived, £65.00, Hilkinson Dartmouth, 10x50 binoculars - a rebadged version of the -Ostara Elinor, watching birds at our feeding stations located beyond our patio doors. These were open for much of the day.

I watched:

Goldfinches, of which may have about a hundred eating their way through our pension,
Greenfinches,
Chaffinches,
A pair of bull finches,
Great and blue tits, and a coal tit,
Blackbirds,
Robins,
Pigeons
Spadgers
a Dunnock or two,
loadsa starlings,
a Greater spotted woodpecker feeding its young,
Magpies,
and a Jay,
many of which brought along their young
all in glorious stereo - what joy!

I have not tested the Dartmouths against my Delta S2 roof prisms, but I think they are sharper.

While waiting for them to come over the weekend, I tortured myself researching the Nikon equivalent sized EDs - I don’t need to any more.

Criticisms - yes- the close focus distance may be nearly 5 metres.

Oh, and if the Chinese assemblers had fixed the strap for me I would have saved a quarter of an hour before viewing through them!

Thank you all for your advice.

The-Wanderer.

Last edited:
Sounds like a very enjoyable day. Glad the Hilkinsons met or perhaps exceeded you expectations. I have another member of the family, and the close focus it's great either but I can just get the feeders in from the house. It's really very good over the lakes at the local reserve though. Hope you continue to enjoy them.

David

For "a recliner, and occasional hide, birder," you certainly picked the wrong username! Sounds like the only thing that's wandering is your eyes. ;)

I've tried a 10x Opto Alpin. I don't remember it was the 10x42 or the 10x50, but the optics didn't knock my socks off. The bins were very lightweight and the Dialyt-like armoring is nice, but I don't think they are worth the price they are asking. The 10x42 SE is "superior." I like the 10x35 EII even better, and that will only set you back half the amount of the SE, and you can find EIIs on eBay.

Brock

Hello, Brock,

Now that I have retired and my health is not what it was, I do not wander as much as I did when crust earning took me to far off lands. Do you think I should change my username?;)

I like the Dartmouths although they are not as sharp as my roof bins of the same size. I could become addicted to the porro view. I regret not buying the Optictron hrwp porros when I had the chance.

i don't think the 10x42 Nikon SEs appear very often second hand.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back