• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron (1 Viewer)

I've had mine since January and it hardly ever comes off my Nikon D70 nowadays! I used to use a cheap Nikkor 70-300 G lens, but found the range to be too limiting. It was a toss-up between the Tamron and the Sigma 50-500. Went for the Tamron because it was a newer model and the optics would therefore probably be better.

The lens is great, although it is nearly half a metre long with the hood on and set at 500mm. Not too heavy though. I tend to use it with a monopod.

It gives best results at f6.3, which is good as this is what it is usually set at, given that i usually want a shutter speed of at least 1/500th. Even on cloudy days i can manage this (although i sometimes have to use 400 ISO).

Personally, i'd recommend the lens (in fact i may treat myself to the companion lens - the 28-300mm - in the near future).

It seems to autofocus quite well, although i haven't really got anything to compare it with. Occasionally it is a little slow - but then most long lenses struggle in dull light. Not a big problem though, as i just focus manually which is easy with the position of the focussing ring).

It comes with a good, light (magnesium) tripod mount, which i leave fixed to the monopod. Removing this is very easy and quick.

Quality of the images? Well - far better than those from my old Nikkor lens! Take a look at the pictures in My gallery - most of these were taken with the Tamron lens.

Feel free to ask me any furthur questions.

Just bought it!

Today I placed an order on this lens. It cost 875 USD, I think. The thing that caught me with this lens is it's superb zoom reach 200-500mm, that's exactly what I was looking for.
I read an review that compared it with the Canon prime lens 500 mmL 4f. Of course the Tamron zoom lens was beaten but not by much.
I'm really looking forward to try it out. I'll post some images very soon after I get it

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back