• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

70-200 IS F2.8, 1.4x and Rebelxt..gd mix? (1 Viewer)

blackburnian

Owl Nut
Hi All,

I already own the Rebel Xt and loving it!

Know it's time to plunge in lenses for wildlife photography.

Would the above be suitable for my needs?

I figured the 1.6 crop factor and the 1.4x converter would bring me up to close to 400mm and still have a fast lens?

Can anyone comment and suggest alternatives if need be.

I was also thinking of the 100-400 IS lens from canon...but heavy and need lot's of light. Also considering the 300 F.4 IS from canon.

My main interest would be birds (larger in flight and duck, mamals ect)

PS: I like getting physicly close (camo that is)to these animals.

Thanks in advance!

Marc

blackburnian said:
Hi All,

I already own the Rebel Xt and loving it!

Know it's time to plunge in lenses for wildlife photography.

Would the above be suitable for my needs?

I figured the 1.6 crop factor and the 1.4x converter would bring me up to close to 400mm and still have a fast lens?

Can anyone comment and suggest alternatives if need be.

I was also thinking of the 100-400 IS lens from canon...but heavy and need lot's of light. Also considering the 300 F.4 IS from canon.

My main interest would be birds (larger in flight and duck, mamals ect)

PS: I like getting physicly close (camo that is)to these animals.

Thanks in advance!

Marc

I doubt you would find that combination long enough. Even with Tele 1.4x you would only get to 280 mm which even on a Digital camera isn't enough. I shoot with a 300 f/4 IS and 1.4x telecoverter on Canon Digital Rebel and I still am constantly wanting for a greater length. Image stabilization is wonderful. So about the only choices are the 300 f/4 and 100-400 f/5.6 for me. I think both are excellent lenses for bird photography on the go.

Brendan

I use the 100-400 lens with the 300d,the only time I find it heavy is if I have to point to the sky,or rooftop.As the 300/rebel is not a heavy cam,then the combined weight of both is acceptable.Why don't you visit the Gallery and chaeck out some of the images posted,and then you can see which lens people are using,it may give you a few ideas.A popular combi is the Sigma 50- 500 lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back