• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

conflict (1 Viewer)

scuba0095

Hello

I was wondering if any of you had the pelasure of witnessing conflict between large birds of prey with other predatory animals such as other birds and (more excitingly) mammels? On a national geographic show i once saw a golden eagle actually "fight" a coyole over a elk carcess and actually win! has anyone else seen some awsome battles happen?

scuba0095 said:
Hello

I was wondering if any of you had the pelasure of witnessing conflict between large birds of prey with other predatory animals such as other birds and (more excitingly) mammels? On a national geographic show i once saw a golden eagle actually "fight" a coyole over a elk carcess and actually win! has anyone else seen some awsome battles happen?

Funny you should mention this. I happened across an awful 'pseudo-wildlife' forum site a few months ago where they had a whole forum devoted to this 'Tiger versus Lion' stuff. It seemed as if there are tv shows that consist entirely of showing these animal fights. These days violence is always a sure way for a tv producer to get an audience.

Ben

Hello yes i find these fights amazing and extremly interesting to watch, HOWEVER ONly natural ones that happen in the wild not the ones such as putting a bear in a pit with a pack of dogs, unnatural fights i find disgusting

I saw a resident bald eagle have a territory disagreement with a visiting osprey.The faster turning osprey was able to temporarily rout the eagle from his marsh home.
Sam

All I've seen is a Moorhen fighting with a squirrel! The Moorhen was not happy about this squirrel coming towards it, so puffed itself up, opened it's wings and just went for the squirrel. Squirrel ran off at great speed, which I was mighty chuffed at, hehe. =D

A couple of years ago near Angers in France I filmed on video what in the distance a pair each of buzzards and hawks in a bit of an aerial tussle. When I finally get the video onto the computer withou it crashing it will be available for experts close inspection for possible ID (on the hawks).
Later on a kestrel and 3 - 4 crows, the kestrel being pursued relentlessly and having difficulty escaping. A second kestrel only ocassionly entering the affray to help. I have often seen buzzards being mobbed but I think it is unusual for kestrels to be given such a reaction.
Any opinions

Steve

Watched a Kestrel drive off a Golden Eagle once just kept attacking the Eagle's tail until the Eagle had enough.

I've seen all sorts of birds divebomb foxes, including sand martins, hooded crows and lapwings. Once spotted a hoodie land on the back of a fox during one of these attacks!

Many times I saw two bunnies fighting. Terribly agressive and rude animals.

Several times I also saw White-tailed Eagles fighting. Lots of jumping, flapping wings, but when you look closely they don't even touch each other.

Best I've seen in terms of raptor taking on large prey item is sparrowhawk taking a Red Grouse. Not the same as an eagle trying to take off with a deer but impresive all the same. They rolled down a hillside together until the hawk got the better of it.

I was leading a guided walk and was able to set up the scope on it as it ate the Grouse and let each participant look in turn. Better than watching the birds was the look on some of their faces as they got a close up....

Mmm, nice!

Matthew

Once saw a young peregrine just out of the eyrie stooping a buzzard and giving it a good hit in the back. I was lucky enough to be above them on top of the cliff at the time. Awesome. Luckily the buzzard was ok. I love them.

Gary

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back