• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

LesserYellowBelly

News team, Assemble!
Are there a few special birding lodges in CR that forum members would recommend staying at a few days in a row? I refer to these as the places you dream of going back to while back sitting at your desk.

Target species are less important than bird abundance and a scenic view/good feeders. Maybe a few places to get up early, walk right out the door to go birdwatching and come back and eat some decent food and read a book before heading back out again.

My use of the google machine has resulted in "nice" places that also seem to cost a fortune (forgive me I usually bird in Asia and I find the prices in CR shocking so far). Any advice for some gems for around $100 for 2 people? A few places worth staying for a few days in a row on holiday?

Have 10 days in CR in January.

Cheers and thanks...

I found Saverge Mountain Lodge to be the best value; OK $100 pp but that includes all meals; loads of great birds around the lodge and immediate areas. On top of the ridge there is Parasio Quetzales, which I didn't stay at but again is good value I'm told - with different birds.

I agree though, most spots are very expensive!

cheers, alan

Savegre also comes to mind. Various eco-lodges in CR have gone the route of the "boutique hotel" where they offer spa services, etc. and charge more. With increasing food costs, many hotels have also raised their prices. Savegre, Rancho Naturalista, Bosque del Rio Tigre, and Luna Lodge all come to mind but they might also be more expensive than you hope. Check out Luna Lodge- they may have some options that work. The place is rather far away but it is worth it- excellent habitat, fantastic birding, and wonderful food and service.

Other options that may work based on budget are:
Highlands
Paraiso de Quetzales- although not as much diversity because of elevation
El Toucanet
Places in Monteverde- many options and it's easy to find good birding up that way. Few hotels have feeders though.

South Pacific
Troppenstation- probably a bit too rustic for a honeymoon but really good birding and feeders and not too expensive. Located next door to Esquinas Lodge and La Gamba, one of the best areas in the country for birding IMO.
Cerro Lodge- very birdy, feeders, rooms now have air conditioning (needed there), might fit the bill.
Manuel Antonio- various options suited for honeymoon birding, forest isn't very big but still nice birding in that area, also a few very good guides work there.

Caribbean slope lowlands:
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca and Manzanillo area- many options, and birding is pretty good right around most hotels. Off the beaten track but migth work.
Sarapiqui area- Notice that I didn't just say La Selva. While one can stay there, it is costly, and not really honeymoon material. IMO, better to stay at a more comfortable hotel in the area (some options, maybe La Quinta or Sueno Azul), and do the early morning birding tour at La Selva (can only be visited on an official tour although entrance road birding is free and often good).

Caribbean slope foothills and middle elevations:
Arenal area- once again, many options, several should be suitable for honeymoon birding, and enough to fit various budgets. Some hotels have feeders, some don't but fairly easy to find good birding in the area. Best birding probably at Arenal Observatory Lodge, they also have good feeders.
Celeste Mountain Lodge- kind of far away, near Bijagua, excellent birding in that area, many rarities.

Hope that helps!

Pat

Yes, CR can be quite expensive.

We followed Pat's recommendation on our last trip and stayed at el Toucanet. I don't recall the exact price, but it was very comfortable and had good local, walkable, birding. It was a very enjoyable stay.

In Monteverde, we've stayed a couple of times at Casa Batsu. I've also had good stays at Trapp Family Lodge. No feeders at either place, but at Trapp especially, you can walk the road up to the MV Reserve.

We did 3 days at Savegre, and 3 days at Rancho Naturalista, and both were incredible experiences, with respect to everything-- the birds, the knowledge and experience of the guides, the locations, the food. One was mountains, one was carribean lowlands, totally different from each other, and both well worth the time spent.

I was in a cabin in the woods doing some birdwatching (peregrine falcons) with no internet access and came back to find that many people had written a lot of advice!

Thank you so much, lots of googling to do now. Very much appreciated. Cheers to all.

Hello LesserYellowBelly!

I am currently living and working in CR and try to get out as much as possible! my fav places i have to say are

1. Mt verde - so many species in one day! i was able to see the illusive umbrella bird although was unable to get any good fotos! still a great trip you can stay in hostels for $40 for a shared room and i highly recommend getting a guide as they know all the local nesting sites etc (quetzals are regularly seen)
2. Gulfo Dulce - I was driving my friend crazy as we were driving (you need a car for this part of the country as you will be driving through rivers etc) and i had to stop every 2 mins to photograph various birds
3. Selva Verde - I have not been yet but excited about this trip in september (for the CR bird fare fri 25th sun 27th) to stay on site is $90 a night http://www.selvaverde.com/lang/en/

Hope this helps, please Pm if i can help w any advice whilst you are here - i love to share what knowledge I have.

I am developing a page for my fotos of CR birds - its in very early stages but i would love if you would give me a like and see some of my shots! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographing-the-Birds-of-Costa-Rica/1478186869162103 :t:

Kindest regards,

Jack

I was in a cabin in the woods doing some birdwatching (peregrine falcons) with no internet access and came back to find that many people had written a lot of advice!

Thank you so much, lots of googling to do now. Very much appreciated. Cheers to all.

LesserYellowBelly.... I have a list of accommodations that cater to birders at the bottom of this page on my website...

http://www.quetzalbycar.com/accommodations

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back