• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding & Wildlife Watching in Wonderful Guyana (1 Viewer)

Hoppy1951

These are notes that I've put together to help people who want info. on wonderful Guyana.

In my quest as a biologist to see ’everything I’ve read about and seen on wildlife films’, I’ve been lucky to travel to quite a few places in the world and Guyana is, as we say in Wales, extremely tidy! In the interior, people are really lovely and trustworthy. The wildlife is stunning - mammals, birds, herps, butterflies and bugs. Never seen so many parrots/macaws in my life (and I’ve been lucky to see quite a few)!

Check out:
My Guyana wildlife albums (all of my images are geotagged): https://www.flickr.com/photos/hoppy1951/albums
Guyana Wildlife Facebook pages: www.facebook.com/groups/guyananature/

All my ground logistics were organised through a UK company Naturetrek by superb local agents, Wilderness Explorers: http://www.wilderness-explorers.com/

In November-December 2012, I spent over a month in Guyana. My first 2 weeks were with a small Naturetrek group and the second 2+ weeks solo and then alongside a small group of 8. Transport costs are horrendous in the interior, so shared travel is the only way to go, unless you are seriously wealthy, have a lot of time to hustle lifts by river, or are prepared to risk minibuses on the 1 dirt road running from north to the Lethem on the Brazilian border in the south.

Food everywhere was exceptionally good. All villages in the interior have free satellite Wi-Fi, courtesy of carbon-offsetting by Norway! $US accepted as = Guyana $
Brandt Guide is worthwhile: www.bradtguides.com/guyana.html.

My itinerary:
Georgetown – Cara Lodge (very nice place to stay), Botanical Gardens.
Arrowpoint - www.roraimaairways.com/wp/resorts/arrowpoint-nature-resort/ River. Ruby Topaz Hummer.
Kaeiteur Falls on route to Iwokrama - www.iwokrama.org/eco-tourism/iwokrama-river-lodge-and-research-centre/ Flight and road.
Atta Rainforest Lodge - iwokramacanopywalkway.com/atta-rainforest-lodge/ Road. Canopy walkway. Black Spider Monkeys, Cock of the Rock.
Surama - suramaecolodge.com/ Road. Capuchin bird. Howlers.
Rock View - rockviewlodge.com/ Road. Savannah birds e.g. Burrowing Owl, Double-striped Thick-knee.
Karanambu (then left 1st group) - www.karanambutrustandlodge.org/ River. Giant Anteater, Agami Heron.
Caiman House - www.rupununilearners.org/caiman_house/caiman_house.htm River. Giant River Otters and Black caiman capture research!
Atta – to join with 2nd group River then road.
Rock View- Road
Rewa - www.rewaguyana.com/ River. Bearded Saki, Sunbittern.
Karanambu - River
Caiman House - River
Kanuku Mountains rainforest camp - a real wilderness experience, bivouacking in hammocks, washing in the river with huge morpho butterflies fluttering around, burgundy goliath bird-eating spiders, oilbird, sungrebe and Harpy Eagles! - www.rupununilearners.org/r_r_drifters/contactus.htm River.
Caiman House - River
Maipaima - maipaimaecolodge.com/ Road
Lethem – Georgetown. Flight
Georgetown – Cara Lodge, Botanical Gardens.

Rainforest Photography

I used the brilliant Nikkor 300mm f/4 IF-ED AF-S FX with a Nikon TC-17E II X1.7 teleconverter, SB800 flash, a Better Beamer flash extender with/without a carbon fibre monopod and a lightweight ball-head. There are lots of tree trunks to help form a tripod, but watch out for bullet ants, nasty spines etc. first!

Camera and lens protection are important, especially during tropical downpours (even in the 'dry' season) and small boat travel. I use neoprene camo sleeves as impact protection (www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/retail/acatalog/Neoprene_lens_cover_sets.html) and an all-in-one camera lens cover to protect from water and dust (www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/...-in-one-camera---lens-cover---Reversible.html). I sure there are plenty of suppliers of similar products.

Useful contacts:

1. My local guide for the first couple of weeks was Wally Prince. He’s an the outstanding guide, research biologist and all round great guy. [email protected]

2. Leon Moore, excellent young Guyanese guide. My guide at Atta, but now freelance: www.facebook.com/leon.moore.923?fref=ts and www.facebook.com/pages/Leon-Moore-Photography/702332319838720?pnref=lhc

email: [email protected]

Leon & Wally co-operate to run journeyguyana.com/

Hope this helps. If I can help in any other way, just ask.

Pob lwc!

Allan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back