• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dead falcon ? (1 Viewer)

johnkemp

Ive just found a dead Falcon? in my garden, well its not moving.

What should I do with it ?

Im afraid of Foxes getting it.

Is there a correct way to deal with this ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

John :h?:

Hi John, welcome to Birdforum.net

Glad you found your way to the forum to ask the question, I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you.

Regards

I read in a magazine that there is a place called The Centre for Ecology and Hydrology that collect dead carcasses of birds. There is a contact email address of [email protected] or ring 01487772504
Hope this may be of some use

Hi John and welcome to BF, do you know what species it is?. Another suggestion would be to bag and freeze it, then check with your local Wildlife Trust/Birdclub or Natual History Museum who will advise you.

Stewart

:bounce:

greetings john,i would suggest you have the bird stuffed and mounted,but this gives some people the ''willy's''which i can understand.you may also be interested in a recent article in the bird watching magazine[feb 05]about the chance finding of a dead little owl by katie fuller.apart from exploring the obvious rare opportunity to study such a bird so close up there was an interesting link which you may find relavant.
the centre for ecology and hydrology runs a predatory bird monitoring scheme[pbms]that has been collecting carcasses since 1963,when large numbers of birds were dying from the effects of organochlorine pesticide poisoning.since then the scheme has been expanded to analyse for a range of pesticides,rodenticides and industrial contaminants.the species of particular interest are sparrowhawk,grey herron,barn and tawny owls,kestral and red kite,though the pbms will take any predatory bird species for its archive.if you suspect a bird has been poisoned dont touch it.call the wildlife incident investigation scheme tel[free] 0800 321 600
for further details contact lee walker,tel 01487 772 504
email [email protected]
best of luck,matt

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back