• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hula valley for serious birdphotography (1 Viewer)

Rene1958

I have heard that this area is great for bird photography. I am not a digiscoper and was wondering whether anyone has been there? What is the best time of the year to go there? Accomodation? Species?

There is very little usefull information on the web, so i hope someone on this forum will be able to give me some informarion,

many thanks
Rene

Rene,

Sadly I have not got the time for an exhaustive reply.

I have been to the Hula many times and have made many a friend there. The people are extremely friendly.

The Hula is in northern Israel and is on a major migration route. A large area to the north was reflooded some years ago and now offers even more spectacular views of the waders, storks, cranes, passerines, raptors, etc. There is also lots of aquatic life on offer. Overhead the skies in spring or autumn will always be of interest; from Golden Orioles beating north (spring) to the passage of low flying Alpine Swifts and hirundines, especially after rain. On days in early spring a count of 10,000+ White Storks is 'nothing'.

The reserve itself is a must. Within the reserve there is a theatre where a presentation of the reserve is given every 30 minutes, plus the obligatory shop, where you can buy reports, gifts, ice cream, coffee, etc.

You will enjoy a visit in spring or autumn or throughout the winter,where temperatures are low but you will get every WP harrier in good numbers. At dusk the herons leave the Hula to feed on the fields and ponds to the north of the Hula. now you will see hundreds of low flying Night Herons plus the others within the species group.

I do recommend a spring visit.

Reading: The Birds of Israel. Shirihai. Birds of Israel. Uzi Paz.

Accommodation: Lots on offer at Ramot Naftali. Overlooking the Hula...but beware! the Israeli breakfast is big and will set you up for the day. Sadly you will have to sit outside at 7am enjoying the brekky and watch Short-toed Eagles, Osprey, LSE, swallows overhead. It will be approx 70deg in late March early April at that time of morning.

Lunch can be found at Kyrat Shmona to the north or close by.

Don't neglect the fields and do your own finding. In autumn their is a huge roost of Black Kites close to the Hula. In the afternoon these birds arrive and simply stand in the ploughed fields. You can actually drive up to them on the road bordering Hula.

Sorry this reply is short.

If you go to the OSME web site you will find more there. Don't just go to the site..JOIN.

John.

Thanks John, can you recommend any accomodation? Are there any hides in the park? Are the birds approachable?
Many thks
Rene

Rene1958 said:
Thanks John, can you recommend any accomodation? Are there any hides in the park? Are the birds approachable?
Many thks
Rene

You would fly to Tel Aviv and pick up your hire car (Eldan). I'm no photographer but the opportunities with Digiscoping would be good.

There is no need to prebook accommodation at Ramot Naftali. This is a Moshav (collective farm) where everyone works for the benefit of each other. The entry is barriered but always open in these days of peace. The B and B's are many. Although very small the Moshav will welcome you with open arms. The downside is you will not want to leave these great people.

I would recommend one week, but dont neglect Gallilee and the Dead Sea to the south....you must try to swim in the dead sea also. Their is a large raptor passage passage in the spring over the Dead Sea escarpment mainly involving LSE, vultures, and Steppe Eagles. The Steppes and LSE's are mostly birds that would have come via Suez, along with a few thousand Steppe Buzzards in with them. Around the Dead Sea there are several wetland areas where crakes are common on passage. Pallid Swifts breed in the dead Sea cliffs too.

Happy days.

John.

Rene Hi there ,the area is about 45 minutes friom where I live And any details you need feel free to ask.Not only in the Hula reserve but also there are a lot of fish ponds in the area where there are a fortune of birds.
They start arriving around the end of October through to march during this time there are a lot of different birds passing through,You can also contact me on my other E.MAIL
[email protected]
Good luck and feel free

Also Kfar Ruppin fishponds (?) from memory had some extremely close views of a large range of species. However, this was 10 years ago, so might be worth checking for some more up to date information on species and access.

Enjoy your trip

That B&B is 400 Shekels a night!!!!

That's 66 pound!

No bird is worth this!

; )

I got no car either so it's a real pain in the arse to get anywhere in this area... Buses are OK but only on teh major arteries - I've been hitching.

Went to Gamla today... very nice.

Hen Harrier (male), Syrian woodpecker, Bonellis Eagle, Griffons, G G Shrike, Spanish Sparrow, Redstarts, little Swift, lots of Redstarts .. forget what else but a really nice place. Hula tomorrow but I'll be carrying my backpack around with me all day so that'll be fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back