• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Northern Sweden in February (1 Viewer)

davidg

I'm booked on a Northern Lights trip to north Sweden (Abisko) in February 2016. Whilst I know daylight is at a premium at that time of year is there anything that I might hope to see in the area? We'll be going on one or two day trips including one to Narvik on the Norwegian coast and we'll be spending a couple of days in Stokholm on the return trip.

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

David

I'll assume from the lack of response that I shouldn't worry too much about packing birding gear for this particular trip :)

David

Glaucous gulls (as well as other gulls) can occur in surprisingly high numbers during winter - I've not been there in February but have been around Christmas time when there is even less light and seen a surprising amount of stuff.
More info here

I have no idea if Tengmalm's owl occur so far north but they can start singing in February as can other owl species. Might be worth keeping your ears open!

Might be something...

Tengmalms Owl rarely reach this far northwest because the forest around Abisko is mostly Birch and they prefer Pine and Fir.
There are a few pines in the National Park though... Might try there but it will be hard.

If you want to see something exotic you can look for Arctic Redpolls around the settlement in Abisko. Should be quite possible.

In the Pine area in the National Park itself it could also be possible to find Siberian Tit but its far from certain.

Last year was a very good year for Snowy Owl so there might be some around up on the mountain plateau.

Look out for Pine Grosbeak and Hawk Owl to even if its not very likely.

Good luck!
Jonas

Some excellent info there Jonas, thanks very much. Hopefully one or two of the birds you mention might give themselves up - certainly worth packing the binoculars at any rate!

David

We had a great time in Abisko but, as I'd suspected, there was very little wildlife to be seen. The only birds seen regularly were Hooded Crow, Magpie, Raven and House Sparrow. Ptarmigan were seen on several occasions when flushed by snow-mobiles, but not by me. In Narvik large numbers of gulls were present by the docks - Glaucous, Herring and Lesser Black-backed mostly - and in the fjord I'd like to think a distant lone duck was a female Stellers Eider but it was really too far away to be sure.
In Stockholm there were huge rafts of Goosander (300+) on the water by our hotel in Gamla Stan with a few Tufties, Mallard and Coot mixed in. Several Fieldfare in one of the city squares were a bit of a surprise, searching for leftovers from the fruit market, I imagine. A Nuthatch calling from treetops just outside Skansen was unexpected as was the Red Squirrel feeding on an apple by Vasamuseet.
As for mammals in Abisko we saw several Moose, a single very smart Stoat and signs of Arctic Hare everywhere. The prize went to a small group of Harbour Porpoises seen in the fjord on our way back from Narvik.
Thanks for all your help.
David

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back