• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica snake (1 Viewer)

Dipper

Hi

I found this small forest floor snake near to Manzanillo on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica during an independent trip to the area in Feb-Mar this year. Can any of you put a name to it?

Attachments

• DSCN6149w.jpg
    DSCN6149w.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 309
Dipper said:
Hi

I found this small forest floor snake near to Manzanillo on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica during an independent trip to the area in Feb-Mar this year. Can any of you put a name to it?

I'm not sure yet what snake, but honestly do not think it's one of the venomous ones.

thanks for your replies. I had looked at pictures of the venomous snakes of CR and was quite confident this wasn't one of them so was quite happy to get up close and personal. A local guide did tell me it was one of the "rat snakes", but no species name. The trip was my most productive ever for snakes in the neotropics. Seven in all of 4 species, this one, plus four eyelash palm pit vipers (photos) a green vine snake plus a brown vine snake. On a previous visit to CR I managed one unidentified snake. In Ecuador last year 2 unidentified snakes, so I was very happy to id 3 of the 4 species in CR.

Adrian

Dipper said:
thanks for your replies. I had looked at pictures of the venomous snakes of CR and was quite confident this wasn't one of them so was quite happy to get up close and personal. A local guide did tell me it was one of the "rat snakes", but no species name. The trip was my most productive ever for snakes in the neotropics. Seven in all of 4 species, this one, plus four eyelash palm pit vipers (photos) a green vine snake plus a brown vine snake. On a previous visit to CR I managed one unidentified snake. In Ecuador last year 2 unidentified snakes, so I was very happy to id 3 of the 4 species in CR.

Adrian

My first thought was some kind of ratsnake, but I am not fimiliar with ratsnakes. I thought Ridleys /cave dwelling ratsnake, but soon learnt that it was a black snake, so that was ruled out. Possibly a great plains... trying to find a picture as I type. I'll let you know if I find anything.

As requested an eyelash palm pit viper. I met a US birder several times during my stay along the coast who was very interested in this particular species and let me know that they are very approachable and not aggressive. He was spot on. Someone will tell me now that they are aggressive. They are easy to find, these yellow types really stand out. There are 3 colour types if I remember correctly, I only saw the yellow.

I'm working on another trip report website, with birds, bugs and snakes plus rather a lot of beach shots, which should be ready in a few weeks.

Adrian

Attachments

• DSCN6118W.jpg
    DSCN6118W.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 265
Dipper said:
As requested an eyelash palm pit viper. I met a US birder several times during my stay along the coast who was very interested in this particular species and let me know that they are very approachable and not aggressive. He was spot on. Someone will tell me now that they are aggressive. They are easy to find, these yellow types really stand out. There are 3 colour types if I remember correctly, I only saw the yellow.

I'm working on another trip report website, with birds, bugs and snakes plus rather a lot of beach shots, which should be ready in a few weeks.

Adrian

That's a stunning snake. Other nice snakes include yellow or red Eyelash Vipers. I've only ever seen a few in my life, but that was in private persons collections, and not in the wild.

I still have no idea what snake the non-venomus one is. I've concluded it's not a ratsnake (elaphe species).

Is it a kind of juve racer? Those huge eyes make me think youngster.
Fab piccie of the eyelash viper! How can anyone not find beauty in these creatures???
James

Ranger James said:
Is it a kind of juve racer? Those huge eyes make me think youngster.
James

could it be a juv Ribbon Snake. Saw a picture of an adult in Beletsky's Neotropical guide to Mexico. Just guessing on that.

Adrian

I would say that this is a jevenile of the genus Rhadinae, probably Rhadinae decorata. An image of the adult can be found HERE. Markings, scale type and forebody scale count seems consistent, as does the geographical location.

Regards, Lee.

Dipper said:

Adrian

I saw all three colour phases of Eyelash Viper in Manzanilla Forest Reserve in April 2000. Beautiful little Snakes.

David

LAF said:
I would say that this is a jevenile of the genus Rhadinae, probably Rhadinae decorata. An image of the adult can be found HERE. Markings, scale type and forebody scale count seems consistent, as does the geographical location.

Regards, Lee.

Thank you Lee

A quick google search produced an English name for the species; Red or Pink-bellied Litter Snake. I'll search some more for more information.
Adrian

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back