• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low Barns Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

IanF

Located off the A68 on the banks of the River Wear between Witton-le-wear and Bishop Auckland. It is signposted from both the A68 and A689 at High Grange. Access by car or public transport. Grid ref. NZ161315

The site, managed by the Durham Wildlife Trust, covers 120 acres, with habitats including mature mixed woodland, large and small ponds, open scubland and river side footpaths. In addition there is a visitors centre and car park with a very active Winter feeding station close by. The centre has several monitors connected up to cameras of nest boxes and the feeding station. Good footpaths cover the site which has no steep inclines enabling easy access for the disabled. The river side path can be a bit muddy in wet weather.

The reserve attracts a wide range of woodland and wetland birds and with the Pennines so close by there is always the chance of seeing interesting raptors passing through.

If open, the visitors centre is well worth a call in before you explore the site as the staff are very friendly and helpful and knowledgeable of what birds are about. Several leaflets and books are available too along with a cafe. At the rear of the centre is an observation tower giving distant views over the largest lake.

At the side of the car park is a picnic area and feeding station where bird ringing also takes place periodically. It's one of the best feeding stations in the county enabling very close inspection from 3' - 12' away of species such as Chaffinch, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, Robin, Dunnock, Greenfinch,Great Spotted woodpecker, Pheasant, Coot and Moorhen etc. Brambling and Siskins also visit the feeders.

From beside the feeding station a footpath leads you alongside an ancient Alder Wood which is frequented by all of the birds mentioned above including Jay, many of which breed in the woods. A few hundred yards along the path to it's right you begin to see glimpses of a large expanse of water. This is the main body of water on the reserve, Marston Lake. You soon reach the first purpose built hide, the North Hide, a double-decker construction giving superb views over the lake. In Jan - Feb 2003 this hide was the perfect point to view a Bittern that took up residence in the reeds below the hide a mere 50 yards away. The lake itself hold a good selection of water birds and attracts migrating geese as well. Regular sightings include Goldeneye, Mallard, Pochard, Little Grebe, Cormorant, Teal, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan, Coot, Moorhen, Shoveler, Shelduck, Wigeon, Goosander and various Gulls. I saw Little Gull there in Dec 2002 on one occasion.

Leaving the hide and turning right following the circular route around the lake you continue through the Alder woods, which change to predominantly birch and willow and the become a proper mixed woodland including some coniferous trees as you walk alongside the river.

You soon reach the South Hide similar in construction to the North Hide. It gives even better views across a wide expanse of water with the sun being behind you or to your left. Kingfisher can often be seen on either side of the hide or on the island opposite a favourite haunt for Little Grebe and Teal. A wide range of water birds can usually be spotted on the open water to the left of the hide, though a scope is best used.

From the hide continuing the circular walk, you enter a small area of predominantly fir trees before reaching more open rough land where I have seen Green Woodpecker on several occasions. Deer also frequent these areas. An area of sludge beds is due for reclamation and development as a new addition to the site. At this point there is a small deviation you can make, a short additional loop alongside the river, where again Kingfisher can be seen along with ChiffChaff in the Summer. Wrens are often seen from quite close too.

Moving on you reach the smaller West Pond. It is a bit more secluded and quieter, offering closer views of many birds from it's single storey hide. Summer 2002 saw a Ring Necked Duck in residence for several months affording excellent views. Sometimes this pond is almost deserted but at others full of life. The short path to the pond often holds Treecreepers, though they can be found around the whole site.

The path then leads back to the car park past another small pond and over a stream, more likely to hold Coot and Moorhen than anything else. A small butterfly garden is to your right as you re-enter the car park.

Other summer visitors include Warblers, Redstarts and the occasional Hoopoe ! Marston Lake is known for it's attraction of many unusual species such as Mandarin, Long Tailed Duck, red Breasted Merganser, Smew and Pintail which of course are very unpredictable.

All in all it's a superb birdwatching site. It can take several hours to cover properly but can also be done quite quickly i you're just looking for a certain species.

Attachments

• low barns reserve o.jpg
    low barns reserve o.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
Ian, that is exactly the sort of entry that should should adorn every county site! Chatty, informative, it tells you everything you need to know. Superb. I think you have set the standard here.

If Low Barns had to have a Bird Logo, then it would be :- Woodcock.

Before this site was 'spoiled' & turned into a dog emptiers walkway, it WAS THE best birdwatching location in Co.Dham.

Anyway, everything changes & its still a good birdy-spot.

I've had 87 species in a day, in & around the reserve.

A Hawfinch was at the feeding station earlier in June '03.

Lets hope that the new-wetland/reedbed can be built without destroying the wet meadow completely, ........the Jack Snipe and Water Rails will be disappointed otherwise......

I can vouch for the friendliness of the staff and volunteers, at this site they are brilliant, a great reserve and one i keep returning too

Brilliant write up Ian, made me feel I had found another place to visit on my holidays. However on reading Steve's comments my enthusiasm has cooled a bit, we have places like that in Cheshire where the wonderful British animal lovers take their offspring to defecate all over footpaths! Still the birdlife and butterfly garden sound superb and worth a visit. Thanks for the write up.

Low Barns is Great !

Dont let me put you off!

If youre nearby come & have a look.

Many bird groups are represented.

The site has strong numbers of Resident Woodland species, all 3 woodpeckers, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Goldcrest, all 6 titmice, Redpoll.
Bull, Gold, Chaff & Greenfinch, all resident

Summer visitors include all the common warblers. Theres no habitat for Reed, at present.
Lesser Whitethroat & Grasshopper Warbler have both held territories in the past 5 years

Redstart & Pied Fly both breed in small no's, Tree pipit previously did, & Wood Warbler is restricted to a few spring passage records.

On the river Dipper, Kingfisher, Heron, Grey & Pied Wag can often be seen, Yellow wag breeds on an adjacent site.

I have recorded Green Sandpiper in every month! Up to 6 birds can winter in this part of the valley, with passage birds numbering 12 (twelve)close-by

Over the lake Swift, Swallow & both Martins can be seen, there have been sporadic sightings of Hobbies, still a rare bird here, but theyre increasing.

Every couple of years theres a passage Osprey following the R.Wear, one sat on a hide to eat a fish years ago!
Sparrowhawk is common, & Kestrels can be seen adjacent to the reserve.

Buzzards are coming on now in the area and can be seen from the reserve throughout the year.Peregrine & Merlin are annual but scarce.

I shall try & sort out a species list for the site,.... its got Cattle Egrte, Little Egret, Bittern, Nightjar, Red Grouse, Smew, Mandarin, Long tailed Duck, Slav grebe, Hoopoe, Black Tern, Little Gull, Med Gull, 3 Ring necked Ducks(at once) etc etc

You are guarenteed, on a spring/summer evening Several Roding Woodcock! (We had a Female with young sat on the ground 1m away)
More Later Steve Evans.

Brilliant Steve, thanks for that, I am not near to Durham but discovered it when my daughter was at agricultural College "Hough Hall". Saw some nice birds up there on visits to see her in the Halls of residence and to walk through the grounds of the college and Durham Universities Botanic Gardens. So my wife and I plan to holiday in the area to visit some of the Parks and wide open spaces in the near future, redundancy is just around the corner.

Bob
Give us a shout when you plan to vist & we'll try to sort out some more info for you.

The Houghall college is just along the road from me & is pronounced " Hoff - Al"
It houses the National Sorbus collection, & therefore gets Waxwing from time to time, & that immediate area has some good birds.
DRop me a line if you want more info.:t:
Steve

Hi Ian,

I hope you can advise.

I am accompanying my wife on a trip back to her parents in Stockton-on-Tees and will use the opportunity to get out and see some of the local birds.

I have had little opportunity to see some moorland species... any advice on some hot spots within a 50 mile radius of Stockton ?

Your help will be appreciated
Bill

Thanks IanF and Steviewol for your brilliant descriptions of the Low Barns NR. You both ought to work in PR you know (but Steve would have to learn to be more economical with the truth!)

I understand how some birdwatchers might view this site and perhaps you feel that it has lost something by becoming a place where the general public can get involved with birds.

Thing is guys we need these sites to be a starting point for wildlife appreciation , and we cant be too precious about what they see as we all need too start somewhere Low Barns fulfills this criteria its not all about rarities.

S'pose thats a fair comment,

i witnessed 3 members of the public "getting involved with birds" a fortnight ago, on another D.Wildlife Trust reserve.

The couple very kindly restrained their dogs while a Short ear owl passed us at close range, 5 mins later all hell had broken loose when they let their 5(five)!! Dalmation dogs go beserk in & around one of the lakes.
This didnt so much affect us, as the Ruddy ducks & Dabchicks which both had small young at that time.

20 mins later a guy started using Coots as target practise for his air rifle!

Wildlife for all.....

Dont get me started on dogwalkers Stevie, the trusts should ban them from the reserves.

As to the idiot with the gun that is a criminal offence, matter for the police to deal with.

BiTTERN is BACK.

The Bittern is back at Low Barns NR.

The bird is visible from the well positioned North Hide, in a small area of Reedmace at the lakeside, as per last year, only there isnt as Much cover this year.
On average its approx 30m away, but is often active & can come closer.
Last year it remained well into March.

Stevie

Last edited:
Haven't had a bittern since my honeymoon in September 2001!!! Neil was just saying earlier this evening that he wants to get out birding more with me so perhaps this Sunday we may just pop down to the Reserve...sounds really good...even if the bittern doesn't show!

GILL

Thanks for the advice Steve, at present we are still hanging in here, although our numbers are dwindling and HR1 is still hanging over our heads. Latest thoughts are the site will be closed by June, so look forward to some good birding months during the summer. Maybe even get to visit Noplace again and the excellent pub there.

Hi Mary,

Simplest way to get there is to travel along the A689 to Bishop Auckland and then either follow the A689 signs through Bishop Auckland to Crook, turning off left for the reserve at High Grange - it's signposted.

Alternatively Follow the A689 to West Auckland and then follow the A68 north on the Corbridge Road until you reach the River Wear at Witton le- Wear and turn right. Again it's singposted.

Here's a Multimap link - Low Barns

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back