• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape May: Advice requested (1 Viewer)

johnraven

Would someone who knows Cape May be able to offer some advice?

It looks like I will be in New York for the penultimate weekend of September. I could fit in 3-4 days of birding beforehand, and would really like to do some North American migrant spotting - presumably at Cape May. But I have read that if the weather conditions are not right, then there is not much to see. If the weather conditions were not right for such a short period of time, would the place be pretty much birdless, or is there always some interest there? I'm just a bit concerned about visiting a bird-free zone as I have no flexibility on timing!

johnraven said:
Would someone who knows Cape May be able to offer some advice?

It looks like I will be in New York for the penultimate weekend of September. I could fit in 3-4 days of birding beforehand, and would really like to do some North American migrant spotting - presumably at Cape May. But I have read that if the weather conditions are not right, then there is not much to see. If the weather conditions were not right for such a short period of time, would the place be pretty much birdless, or is there always some interest there? I'm just a bit concerned about visiting a bird-free zone as I have no flexibility on timing!

The New Jersey Audubon Society website has some info.
The link below to the RBA archives will give you some idea of past sightings for your dates.
http://www.njaudubon.org/Tools.Net/Sightings/SightingsArchive.aspx?rt=CapeMay

Hi John,

Your other option is to stay in NYC and hit Central Park and Jamaica Bay - both of which are available on public transport. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed doing Cape May or staying in NYC - nycbirdreport.com has dates things can be expected to be seen if you click on the 'expectations' 'likely for year' section of each site. Also clicking into the species will give you dates the species have been seen for the last 2 falls.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back