• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback updates (1 Viewer)

mfunnell

Registered Confuser
It looks like Vortex is revamping its Diamondback binocular line-up. B&H Photo is advertising the new models for pre-order with availability mid-April 2016. The specifications have changed and it seems they will be available in both green and black. I've no other information, nor any connection with Vortex or B&H aside from as a customer.

[price order; descending]

The only model I'm familiar with, the 8x28 (I have two), seems to be getting a narrower FOV and a closer minimum focus distance as well as being slightly smaller - something that probably matters a fair bit in a compact bin. I quite like the model I have, as a conveniently sized binocular that gives a nice view. One would hope the newer version offers improvements but just based on specs it seems a bit win-some/lose-some, thinking especially of the FOV as I've never felt mine should be narrower! I'd hope there are optical improvements to make up for things like that...

...Mike

I have the 10x50 Diamondback and looking at the new specs the differences appear to be.

Minium Focus: Old - 9' (2.75m) / New - 7' (2.13m)
Linear FOV: Old - 5.4 deg / New - 6 deg
FOV: Old - 283' (95m) / New - 315' (105m)
Eye Relief: Old - 19mm / New - 17mm
IPD: Old 61-74mm / New - 57-72mm
Weight: Old - 31oz (865g) / New - 29.6oz (839g)

Les.

So, this is not an ED or HD glass correct? And with the eye relief down from 19mm to 17mm (8X) are we getting close to a concern for those of us who wear glasses?

So, this is not an ED or HD glass correct?
Correct. Vortex isn't making such claims for this line of bins, which are towards the lower end of their range. (BTW, as far as I'm aware "ED" at least means something in terms of glass type, but "HD" seems a pure marketing term. If I'm wrong about that, could someone please educate me?)
And with the eye relief down from 19mm to 17mm (8X) are we getting close to a concern for those of us who wear glasses?
I think that depends on which format you're talking about. Examples: the 8x42 format has eye relief of 18mm in both the old and new; the 8x28 goes from 19mm to 18mm while the 8x32 was 12mm in the old model and offers 15.6mm in the new. So I don't think there's any sort of general trend there in the new models.

If you just look at the specs, these seems a bit of a mixed bag; with some numbers improved and some moving the other way. But some things aren't captured in the usual published specs - we've no way of knowing what changes to optical design, coatings etc. will do to the view without looking through them and/or measuring things such as transmission, CA, distortion etc. I'd hope they are improvements on previous designs but it's hard to be sure of even that, given the interactions between the brands specifying the binoculars (or just selecting from option lists) and those actually manufacturing the bins. (That's something I'll confess I know all too little about.)

The two formats I'm interested in are the 8x28 and the 8x32. I'm interested in the 1st because I have the old model (two of 'em, in fact) and find it a pleasing and useful compact bin, so I'll be interested to see how the new one compares. I'm interested in the 2nd because it looks good on paper and perhaps would even be useful to me (I never really considered the old model as it's 12mm eye relief wouldn't work for me; 15.6mm probably would).

...Mike

Last edited:
It seems that some of the new-model Diamondback binoculars are now shipping from B&H photo. The 10x50, 12x50 and 10x32 models still show as pre-order only - but all other models appear to be in stock and available for order. I imagine those showing as pre-order will become available soon enough. Also note that some old-model Diamondbacks are still available (while some are not) and may be discounted either now or in future to get rid of old stock - so it might be worthwhile to watch, if you're interested, at B&H or elsewhere.

...Mike

No big brown trucks here, but an Aussie Post van pulled up 5 minutes ago and dropped off two pairs of the new-model Diamondbacks in 8x28 and 8x32. I'll post some initial impressions once I get the time to have them. One thing noticed immediately - while the 8x32s are quite compact they come with a rather bulky semi-rigid case (not a soft case) which seems to defeat the purpose of having compact bins. They look far more useful for storage than field use. The 8x32s do fit (just) into the soft case for the 8x28s.

...Mike

No big brown trucks here, but an Aussie Post van pulled up 5 minutes ago and dropped off two pairs of the new-model Diamondbacks in 8x28 and 8x32. I'll post some initial impressions once I get the time to have them. One thing noticed immediately - while the 8x32s are quite compact they come with a rather bulky semi-rigid case (not a soft case) which seems to defeat the purpose of having compact bins. They look far more useful for storage than field use. The 8x32s do fit (just) into the soft case for the 8x28s.

...Mike

Pic-churs or it didn't happen! o:D

Hmmm... I've had a somewhat limited opportunity to play with both my new model Diamondbacks: the changes from the old 8x28 are somewhat predictable, but the 8x32 is a binocular I've found surprising, quite unusual, intriguing and a more than a little annoying - yet very interesting. Far more interesting than I would have predicted. I need to play with them some more, but I will post something soon - probably tomorrow - saying why.

Should anyone be interested, well, watch this space...

...Mike

Is the old model 8x42 which is on sale for between $139 - $149 worth getting, given the new model's specs and advertised optic enhancements ("... enhanced, dielectric fully multi-coated lenses serves up stunning, views and impressive low-light performance ...")?

Is the old model 8x42 which is on sale for between $139 - $149 worth getting, given the new model's specs and advertised optic enhancements

I think that there is enough improvement to warrant spending the extra money for the new version DB.

However -- you can go to the Eagle Optics site and get an Atlas Optics Radian for $129. It is a better bino than the old DB, and really just as good as the new DB. If $139-$149 is the most you desire to spend, take a real good look at the Radian.

If it turns out that you can spend the purchase price of the new DB (around $219), then you should consider the $199 Atlas Optics Intrepid. The Intrepid has a brighter and sharper image than the new DB, and has a smoother focus wheel too. IMO it is overall a better bino than the new DB, and for a bit less money.

Eagle Optics seems to be a good place to trade with......

Is the old model 8x42 which is on sale for between $139 - $149 worth getting, given the new model's specs and advertised optic enhancements ("... enhanced, dielectric fully multi-coated lenses serves up stunning, views and impressive low-light performance ...")?

Yes, they state that they have "enhanced, dielectric fully multi-coated lenses." They even repeat that in the video.

But are the Prisms dielectric coated? That is where it counts for brightness.

Bob

Dielectric coatings are an advanced form of Phase-correction so yes, the prisms do have the dielectric coatings.

Having compared the two 8x42s side by side (to check FOV data) we can say that the new 2016 version is fractionally brighter and has a better colour rendition than the previous model.

HTH
Dave.

Dielectric coatings are an advanced form of Phase-correction so yes, the prisms do have the dielectric coatings.

Having compared the two 8x42s side by side (to check FOV data) we can say that the new 2016 version is fractionally brighter and has a better colour rendition than the previous model.

HTH
Dave.

I always thought Phase Coatings were what were put on the edges of the SP prisms where they met each other in order to get rid of the "softness" in the view that affected the binoculars that didn't have them.

Also, Dielectric was the most modern coating that could be put on the SP mirrors. It was supposed to be brighter than the earlier Aluminized and Silver coated ones.

Most binoculars that have dielectric prisms state that they do although some like Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss have other names for it.

Bob

I finally had the opportunity to try the new Vortex Diamondback 8x42s this past weekend. I was very impressed with this new model. Loved the ergonomics and the focus was very smooth and precise. Optics were sharp with good color and the sweet spot size seemed good to the point that I don't remember it being an issue. For the price they are selling for these are an excellent option.

I finally had the opportunity to try the new Vortex Diamondback 8x42s this past weekend. I was very impressed with this new model. Loved the ergonomics and the focus was very smooth and precise. Optics were sharp with good color and the sweet spot size seemed good to the point that I don't remember it being an issue. For the price they are selling for these are an excellent option.
Thanks Frank. This sounds good. I'll be getting hold of one of the new 8x42s to compare to the old one (which does seem like it was due for improvements). From what you say, the comparison should be interesting.

...Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back