• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Alert for El Nino drought - Feb 2016 trip good idea? (1 Viewer)

jimscarff

On December 30, 2015, President Juan Manuel Santos of Colombia declared a Red Alert over large areas of Colombia because of severe drought as a consequence of a very strong El Nino. The announcements yesterday talked about particularly low water levels in the Caua Valley and the large number of forest fires in the last several months.

I am scheduled to go on a group bird watching tour with a Colombian guide from JANUARY 12-14, 2016 (I goofed on month in title). Our itinerary starts in Cali, then we are going to drive up the Cauca Valley, on to Buga, Tatama National Park near Montezuma Lodge, Otun-Quimbaya, Manizales, Rio Blanco Lodge, Otono, and back to Cali.

Is this a safe and reasonable trip to take given the severe drought, water and electricity rationing & the Red Alert?

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

I'm going on a 3 weeks trip on my own a little later than you, and have also had some thougts about how the current El Nino might affect the birding.
I reckon that high altitude sites may be too dry, with few flowering bushes and even fewer hummingbirds, and vocalisation in forests must be minimal, given the conditions (?)
A trip to the (usually) wet pacific coast could perhaps be easier now logistically, though birds would be harder to find.

I hope someone will have some recent info to share,

Jens

Colombian guide says birdwatching is good in Colombia 2016

I wrote the tour company I am going with about my concerns about the drought and security issues in Colombia for my trip starting January 12, 2016. The tour company wrote back:

"Here is what Chris [Colonje, our guide] said, "The droughts have not had an effect on the water supply or electricity in the cities or sites we visit [Cali NE along both sides of Cauco Valley up to Rio Blanco and back], so I do not expect it to be a problem."

As to the alerts and news and [U.S.] state department warnings, Chris says to, "take those with a grain of salt, and the situation on the ground in Colombia is perfectly safe with hundreds of birding tours and bird companies travelling throughout the country with no problems whatsoever. There is plenty good news about Colombia as well, especially when it comes to the growth of tourism. One site that can be recommended is https://birdsofpassage.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/birding-best-of-colombia/ This is a blog of some folks who traveled throughout ALL of Colombia on their own."

Jim,

I can't speak to El Nino, but I went to Colombia about a year ago. I wandered around Bogota and Cartagena on my own and felt perfectly fine, even in some areas not on the tourist path. Of course, there are issues with poverty and crime, but that's everywhere.

There were no security concerns on the organized tour with one exception: There are some unsafe areas on the opposite side of the valley from the Arrierito Preserve. We heard artillery fire every evening coming from there. We were told not to make a wrong turn and head up that side of the valley, but the Arrierito side was perfectly safe.

Enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
I went to Otun-Quimbaya in 2013,2014 and 2015 and there was no problems in 2014 despite the severe drought in the rest of the country.
I think both Otun and Tatama National Park near Montezuma Lodge are in very wet parts of the country so will not be affected.
(I realize this is too late for you but it might help others).
I am not sure about the rest of the country
I hope you are enjoying this. If you have spare time in Cali go to Parque de las Garzas or/and Finca Alejandria

I was in Colombia for three weeks (mid-Jan to early Feb) this year, mostly in Putumayo. It was drier and hotter than usual according to the locals, but certainly nothing that would have significantly hindered traveling or birding. There were some big forest fires near Bogotà that were in the news, but then again, except perhaps very locally, I don't think the strong El Nino is a big obstacle to travel in Colombia this year.

I was in Colombia for three weeks (mid-Jan to early Feb) this year, mostly in Putumayo. It was drier and hotter than usual according to the locals, but certainly nothing that would have significantly hindered traveling or birding. There were some big forest fires near Bogotà that were in the news, but then again, except perhaps very locally, I don't think the strong El Nino is a big obstacle to travel in Colombia this year.

Where did you go in Putumayo? I have been advised by relatives in Colombia to never go there (although I am not sure they know what they are talking about)

Up until 2-3 years ago it probably would have been good advice to avoid Putumayo altogether, but much of it is now safe, especially if you have local contacts. We spent 10 days in the Sibundoy/Mocoa/Puerto Asis area, with the excellent young local guide Brayan Coral Jaramillo, then flew from Puerto Asis to Puerto Leguizamo on the Putumayo river, where we spent 9 days. Again having local contacts is very useful as they will know which areas to avoid.

Up until 2-3 years ago it probably would have been good advice to avoid Putumayo altogether, but much of it is now safe, especially if you have local contacts. We spent 10 days in the Sibundoy/Mocoa/Puerto Asis area, with the excellent young local guide Brayan Coral Jaramillo, then flew from Puerto Asis to Puerto Leguizamo on the Putumayo river, where we spent 9 days. Again having local contacts is very useful as they will know which areas to avoid.

I have to say that my local contacts in Cali have rarely been useful in many cases, worse than useless.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back