• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cabo de Sao Vicente Alpine Accentors (1 Viewer)

jlp184

I visited the Sagres peninsula this morning, making a dawn start at CdSV Can anyone please tell me if Alpine Accentor are still being recorded at this site and if so when the most recent sightings were. I didn't find any today but could make a return visit in the next 10 days if there is a chance of seeing this species. Was successful with Red-billed Chough today, seeing them at Artesavarto restaurant and along the road to Vale Santo.

Although there is only one record this season reported on ebird - this shouldn't discourage you looking for them at Cabo de São Vicente. Also, although I've looked for them (with little time) twice this winter and not found them I'm convinced that they are there. Normally between 3 and 5-6 birds are present. Best to search the slopes on the north side of the cape - they seem to like the shadier areas of low "montane structure" vegetation where they often creep around unobtrusively - they can often be missed because of this - even at close range because they don't normally flush till you are on top of them. Also, there are many spots on the cliffs where they will be out of view.

Its normal not to find them when they are there but repeated or long visits usually reveal them. Of course one can get lucky and find them on arrival.....

Additionally, it may be worth checking Foia mountain top - they are often up there in the general vicinity of the"ugly coach stop" restaurant/gift shop.

By the way - the restaurant you mention near the cape is a great area for wintering Ring Ouzels - in the Juniper scrub behind the building - in fact many areas of clifftop Juniper in the wider peninsula hold Ring Ouzels.

Last edited:
Thanks for this information guys. I re-visited today between 7:30 and 9:45am seeing Alpine Accentors on the northern bluffs at 8:00 and 8:45. Could have been the same bird each time. Local birders I met at the Ria Alvor reserve had also advised me to concentrate on that spot,

I also saw a Merlin over CdSV today, one Ring Ouzel behind the Artesanato restaurant, and a 50+ Red-billed Chough flock was moving around the Vale Santo area. But I have yet to locate the Sagres Little Bustard flock. Any clues?

Glad you got them - fabulous little birds.Nice that you got a Merlin too - they are around but I don't see them on too many visits.

The Little Bustards spend most of their time along the little road up to Vale Santo (where it becomes a track). South of the Vale Santo farm is best and really all you can do is scan the grasslands and low scrub for them, both sides of the road. They can be tricky but often reveal themselves well - first half of the morning is best - I find if you hang around this road about 500m-1km before the farm for an hour they can often be seen on the ground or flying. Other good birds often appear around here while you are waiting. Keep an open mind for Richard's Pipit too as they are quite regular around here.

Thanks for your assistance here Simon. I did visit Vale Santo once more and drove around a bit on the rough roads but still no Little Bustards. I think they must just have been somewhere else during my stay.

Thanks for your assistance here Simon. I did visit Vale Santo once more and drove around a bit on the rough roads but still no Little Bustards. I think they must just have been somewhere else during my stay.

Pity....but I bet they were there. Numerous occasions I have met folk who have found them after I had searched to no avail...and vice-versa.;)

Little Bustards - Vale Santo

Over the years we've found that little bustards have found us rather than the other way around. Past years where Simon describes and over the past two years about 100m from the Cape main road, along the Vale Santo road where it levels with a track heading towards the pines on the right.
Last two occasions a party of about six birds were crossing the road at this point late afternoon.
Many years ago we came in wintertime and had no luck at all and were left thinking that they were mythical birds. Once you've given up on them they seem to appear.;):t:
Photo from October last year.

Attachments

• LQ Bustard little bustard (Tetrax tetrax)  Vale Santo Sagres 081015 01_edited-1.jpg
    LQ Bustard little bustard (Tetrax tetrax) Vale Santo Sagres 081015 01_edited-1.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back