• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Must be Spring (1 Viewer)

Okie

Here in the Cimmeron Valley of East Central Oklahoma the plum trees have lost their blooms, the red buds are beginning to show signs of fading, the Dogwoods are looking good, and the hummers are coming back from their winter vacation :clap: . Observed an odd thing today. We didn't have any hummingbird feeders up yet and got a visitor a little earlier than expected. The tiny little hummer was buzzing all around the place we hung out feeders last summer. Just would never had imagined that a creature with a brain that tiny could remember where to go for some nectar from one season to the next. Has any one else ever had this happen?

Oh, yeah. I'd hung one feeder over one deck and two over another, and the following year when I put all three on the same side of the house, we had multiple hummers investigate the "abandoned" deck, hovering as if they couldn't believe they weren't seeing a feeder there. It is amazing, isn't it, how they remember? Such fantastic critters.

A bird banding friend of mine tells of being able to predict, with some of her returning hummingbirds, not only what trap they will be caught in, nor only what date they will be caught, but right to the hour when and where they will be caught! These birds are remarkably site phidelic!
What amazes me is that if they can remember where the food was and when then why can't they remember what happened when they last went to that feeder!

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back