• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Desert areas near Marrakesh (1 Viewer)

frimp

Hi i'm staying just south of Marrakesh mid April and was wondering if any of the desert species were possible without making the long drive to Ouazazate ? There seems to be some desert areas to the west of Marrakesh towards Chichaoua ?? Any Larks, Sandgrouse, Wheatears, Courser, Trumpeter Finch etc would be great. Cheers.

Towards Chichaoua try to see the Black-winged Kite, Cream-coloured Cursor, Black-bellied Sandgrouse and the Eurasian Stone-Curlew. The latter three species can also be seen in other plains around Marrakech (e.g. towards the north). Thekla and Crested larks should be easy.

In the sandy banks of Oued Tensif try to see the Brown-throated Martin (we saw them feeding young at this time of year).

Many thanks Mohamed that's a big help. It will be my first time in Morocco and really looking forward to it. The areas to the west of Marrakesh seem to be very under watched so your help has given me fresh hope. Cheers.

You are welcome! This study (PDF) may help you to learn more about this region:

Traba, J., Acebes, P., Malo, J. E., García, J. T., Carriles, E., Radi, M., & Znari, M. (2013). Habitat selection and partitioning of the Black-bellied Sandgrouse (Pterocles orientalis), the Stone Curlew (Burhinus oedicnemus) and the Cream-coloured Courser (Cursorius cursor) in arid areas of North Africa. Journal of Arid Environments 94: 10–17. PDF

"Observations were made in four study areas in the vicinity of Marrakech: Guemassa, Harbill, Mzoudia and Sidi Chiker".(I couldn't copy the coordinates).

Thanks again I will certainly check these areas out. I will also be visiting Oukeimeden and wondered if by mid april I still have a chance of seeing Crimson Winged Finch and Alpine Accentor ? Will taking the ski lift give me a better chance ? Also do Rufous Tailed Rockthrush breed up here ? Cheers

Hi,

Ive visited Oukeimaden twice and the first time was in mid/late April (22nd/23rd). The two species you mention are residents so will be there. You may need to climb the hills to see them rather than just drive to the car park. On the April visit we climbed and saw both species doing this, as well as the Atlas form of Horned/Shore Lark plus Rufous-tailed & Blue Rock Thrush. We didnt use the ski lift.

It's worth checking the upper car park first though, for the finch particularly.

A benefit of going early spring is that you will have a good chance of seeing the Atlas form of Northern Wheatear - Seebohm's Wheatear, regarded a species in its own right by some. We found it straightforward on the mid April visit.

Cheers,

Thanks Gareth its good to know that ive got a chance of these birds. Im well up for climbing a few hills but it might be best if I visit Oukeimeden on my own one morning rather than taking my 6 year old and the mrs on a long hike! Really looking forward to birding in Morocco, so many good birds on offer, and many of them new for me. Will post my sightings when I return home late April. Cheers, Jim.

Hi,

does anybody know any good sites for Western Orphean and Melodious Warbler around Asni and Ourigane (or anywhere south of Marrakesh). Also any hotspots for Tristrams Warbler, and are Bonellis Eagle still breeding at Moulay Brahim ? Seems to be very limited info on this general area, known as the Kik plateau I believe?

Cheers Jim.

I will also be visiting Oukeimeden and wondered if by mid april I still have a chance of seeing Crimson Winged Finch and Alpine Accentor ? Will taking the ski lift give me a better chance ?

In mid-May last year Crimson Winged Finch and Shore Lark were easy driving past the ski lift and walking on the gravel road. The ski lift was not operational, but plenty of cars were driving past (if I recall correctly, there was a sign it was prohibited) and people were having a stroll there.

Just back from family holiday to Morocco. All had a fantastic time and some good birds too. Highlights at the Oukeimeden ski resort were : 3 Crimson Winged Finch, 5 Horned Lark, several pairs of Seebohms Wheatear, Rock Sparrow, Blue Rock Thrush, Booted Eagles and many Chough of both species.
Further down in the valley towards Ourika saw a Levaillants Green Woodpecker, Rock Buntings, African Blue Tits and superb views of several Moussier's Redstart.
Found 2 Tristrams Warbler to the south of Asni near the 9km post as described in the Gosney guide.
Was nice to see 2 Great Spotted Cuckoo just south of our hotel on the road from Marrakesh to Tahnaout. Other good birds in this area were Rufous Bush Chat, Hoopoe,Western Orphean and Olivacious and Melodious Warbler.
A Black Winged Kite was hovering outside reception one evening and regular poolside sightings included: Little and Pallid Swifts, Red Rumped Swallows, Woodchat and Southern Grey Shrikes, Black Eared Wheatear, House and Cirl Buntings, Bulbulls, Long Legged Buzzard, Cattle Egrets, White Stork, Serins and Spotless Starlings.
2 Rollers were at lake Ouirgane, Black Wheatears at Lalla Takerkoust and a Lanner nearby.
Lovely to see Bee-eaters on a regular basis.
Sadly didn't have time to venture to any desert areas but sure I will be coming back to Morocco very soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back