• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland, late may/early june 2016 (1 Viewer)

fdokykcu

Finally one of my dreams is going to become hopefully truth as I’ve just got the plane tickets to Iceland (WOW!) arriving on Keflavik on may 24th and leaving back to Spain on june 7th.

I've hired a car and plan to drive all around the island, if times runs out quickier than expected I’ll try at least to reach lake Mytvan and Merkaskletta peninsula via NW coast and Husavik before returning back to the airport

My plan is to stay in tent in campsites. I expect most them to be opened by that dates.
I suppose if weather is harsh enough then I’ll drop back into B&B or something similar.

I'll bring my digiscoping equipment with me (that will make quite tight the weight schedule) but my main objective is to enjoy bird and nature observation: photos came after. As a bonus, coming from southern Europe, most birds and/or plumages will be new for me.

I've already devoured the info posted in this forum and related blogs, but will be happy to receive any other advice,

Sounds like a great plan, Fernando and you are coming at the perfect time of year for birding. I can't make any promises about the weather though! It snowed at Mývatn in early June last year but was 20°C when I was there in late June, you just never know. I advise you to look at eBird for the latest sightings of target species, and check out this website for info on birding in NE Iceland http://www.birdingtrail.is/. Also have a look at the Birding Iceland page on Facebook.

Thank you very much for your comments, Edward. I'll do so!

Sounds like a great plan, Fernando and you are coming at the perfect time of year for birding. I can't make any promises about the weather though! It snowed at Mývatn in early June last year but was 20°C when I was there in late June, you just never know. I advise you to look at eBird for the latest sightings of target species, and check out this website for info on birding in NE Iceland http://www.birdingtrail.is/. Also have a look at the Birding Iceland page on Facebook.

Plenty of time to do the circle, especially if you have the freedom of car & tent! Make sure you include Snaefellsnes, the ferry to Flatey, and Westfjords/Latrabjarg for Brunnich's Guillemot, Glaucous Gull, Red Phalarope, White-tailed Eagle etc. Have a great trip!

Plenty of time to do the circle, especially if you have the freedom of car & tent! Make sure you include Snaefellsnes, the ferry to Flatey, and Westfjords/Latrabjarg for Brunnich's Guillemot, Glaucous Gull, Red Phalarope, White-tailed Eagle etc. Have a great trip!

yeah basically all the Icelandic species (except a few that are very rare, most of which can be seen more easily in mainland Europe) can be seen with this route, plus myvatn

white-tailed eagle is quite difficult though I think?..

James

white-tailed eagle is quite difficult though I think?..James

True enough, but the Breidafjordur crossing and Westfjords areas are your best bet for this species. The company that runs the ferry used to do a specific eagle tour, but not sure that's still running.
You'll want to spend some time on Flatey to look for the Phalaropes anyway :)

Back from my wonderful trip to Iceland, I want to thank all of you for helping with very useful suggestions.

Here you can find a report on it. I expect to post some photos as soon as possible

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back