• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 10x42 trinovid are they worth £650.00 (1 Viewer)

the bird

Carpe diem
In Need Of Help

Considering buying Leica Trinovid 10x42 just really want to know what people think of them since £650.00 is alot of money. ARE THEY WORTH IT????

Or are there any real good bargains out there to be had, or any other bins about the same price I should be looking at ????? Need help badly, my 15 year old Optolyth Touring 10x40 are knackered. B :)

Last edited:
the bird said:
Considering buying Leica Trinovid 10x42 just really want to know what people think of them since £650.00 is alot of money. ARE THEY WORTH IT????

Or are there any real good bargains out there to be had, or any other bins about the same price I should be looking at ????? Need help badly, my 15 year old Optolyth Touring 10x40 are knackered. B :)

I would not pay that kind of money for an Trinovid. It may be better to go for the Ultravids.

Otto McDiesel said:
I would not pay that kind of money for an Trinovid. It may be better to go for the Ultravids.

That'll be an extra £200 - £250 can't really afford that unless you know of a good dealer.... back of lorry or some such.... nudge nudge wink wink.....

i paid £699 for my trinovid 10x42bn's only last year. they are fantastic but a tad heavy when there round your neck all day.

i would say save for the ultravids, they are very similar optic wise (both top quality) but are more modern and lighter. i also have the ultravid 10x42br and they cost me £950 this year, so dont expect them to be less than a grand brand new.

why not do a web search for the best price, or pay over 6-12 months at 0% interest.

salty said:
i paid £699 for my trinovid 10x42bn's only last year. they are fantastic but a tad heavy when there round your neck all day.

i would say save for the ultravids, they are very similar optic wise (both top quality) but are more modern and lighter. i also have the ultravid 10x42br and they cost me £950 this year, so dont expect them to be less than a grand brand new.

The Trinovids are great bins, although you must be comfortable with weight and ergonomics. Regardless of whether you go the Trinovid or Ultravid route, the difference with your Optolyth 10 x 40s will be startling.

chartwell99 said:
The Trinovids are great bins, although you must be comfortable with weight and ergonomics. Regardless of whether you go the Trinovid or Ultravid route, the difference with your Optolyth 10 x 40s will be startling.

Thanks to all for the valued feed back, I think i'm gonna enjoy this forum - having just joined.

Cheers

John (The Bird)

John,

I don't know about the Trinovid 10x42 (I'm a low-power binocular fan)... but my Trinovid 7x42 are the best binoculars I have EVER looked through or purchased. They are so bright, clear, sharp, and natural looking - it's almost like looking through magnified air! This is a pretty serious testimonial coming from me... I spend most of my free time birding with my (currently almost 1 dozen pairs!) of high-end binoculars, and whatever time I have left over evaluating new optics at local camera/sporting goods/outdoors stores. I was set on buying a pair of Zeiss FL or Leica Ultravid 7x42 binoculars late last year, but after comparing both models to the Trinovid 7x42 it was the Trinovids that went home with me! That's how highly I regard the Trinovid... despite the heavy and somewhat chunky ergonomics. I'll tell you one thing about the Trinovid ergonomics though... they are the only binocular I would choose if I wanted to make SURE I would never drop them - the long deep ridges are almost impossible to let go of, intentionally or otherwise!

Best wishes,
Bawko

the bird said:

I went from a pair of Optolyth Alpin 10x40's to a pair of Leica 10x42's 11 years ago - I'm afraid I don't treat my optics as kindly as perhaps I ought, but that in itself is a good test - the Leicas are still optically superb, albeit rather physically battered. The only weak part of their construction is the thin plastic bridge over the central hinge (long since shattered on mine) - apart from that they're built like the proverbial brick sh#thouse, which is more than can be said for some of their competitors. I work on the principle that they're a tool to be used hard, and I've no complaints whatsoever about them. Worth every penny.

Jon

the bird said:
bought them to good an offer to turn down.

Bring on the burding

good choice. they will still be going well when we wont! - they are bombproof, and are meant to be used loads so enjoy them ;)

I most strongly recommend the Leica Trinovids 10X42 slightly heavy but wonderful optics and they feel good in the hands. I purchased mine new from LCE and paid considerably less than the £650 quoted. Try LCE they did a great deal for me. Thanks Dave

DAS said:
I most strongly recommend the Leica Trinovids 10X42 slightly heavy but wonderful optics and they feel good in the hands. I purchased mine new from LCE and paid considerably less than the £650 quoted. Try LCE they did a great deal for me. Thanks Dave

i'll second that.

i still like to swap now and again with my girlfriend who i gave my trinovid 10x42bn's to with my ultravid 10x42br's. i would be happy to use either bino full time, exellent piece of kit.

how much did you end up paying, or is it a secret?

Attachments

• trinovid 10x42bn.JPG
    trinovid 10x42bn.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 595
Hello Dave ive just been Qouted ! 689 large by ASKOPTICS ON BEHALF OF L.C.E For 10x42 BN,seems you won the pools on your purchase,perhaps Dave i have the wrong contact ,can you help thanks Jim.

very good price, i agree. dont think i have seen them for less than £650ish. yikes, i wonder how much mine are worth!

Trinovid 8x42bn

the bird said:

Hi,
Just to add my 2 cents. I've had 8x42 Trinovid bn's for over a year now and consider them to be among my best (including 8x32 EL's, Nikon 8x42 HG's, and 8x32 bn's). They are somewhat heavy but I find them comfortable to use, with high contast and sharpness, and feel that they will last many years.
Len

Woody57 I have just dug out my receipt for my 10X42BNs and they were purchased from London Camera Exchange Gloucester 12, Southgate St. on 12 Feb 04 and I paid not £599 but £600 for them (memory going). My wife purchased them for me as a birthday present and she did the deal. LCE Gloucester's phone no is 01452 304513. A couple of weeks after the purchase of the BNs we also purchased a pair of RSPB 8X32 glasses for my wife. They are the phase coated ones that were going for £299 and LCE did us a deal and sold them to us for £250. They are great glasses too for the money. Clear, bright, sharp,light and good in the hands. My wife would'nt swop them and they are constantly in use. Good luck with your purchase Jim. Dave
Addendum Jim a friend of mine has had some good deals at LCE Worcester. You can try for a good price there as well. I'm sorry I don't have their tel.no. I'm sure by shopping around you wll be able to get the same deal as I did or very near to it. Remember at £600 both Leica and the dealer made a profit, probably a good one too. Thanks Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave for the info ,I will have to wait a while my wifes decided to have the drive done,Ill have to start being STRONGER. CHEERS.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back