• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harlequins, Gyrfalcon, Arctic Fox (1 Viewer)

Edward

Umimmak
Iceland
Went out on Saturday with my regular birding buddy Simmi to do a quick tour of the peninsula which extends south and west from Reykjavik, and forms the "bit sticking out in the bottom left hand corner" if you look at a map of Iceland. It is a low, highly volcanic windswept area but its coasts are full of birds.

Our first stop provided good views of 5 Great Northern Divers. Watching all this on a lampost only 30 metres from our car was a juvenile Gyrfalcon. Winter is easily the best time to see these majestic raptors because the abundance of ducks and gulls means that there's an easy supply of food.

Soon after we saw a sight which I've rarely seen and that was two snow-white Arctic Foxes running across the road. As I was looking at those Simmi started shouting and pointing at a snow-white Ptarmigan flying across the road, his first of the year. Both the Foxes and the Ptarmigan looked very vulnerable as they were white in a totally snow-less landscape. The Ptarmigan especially looked hopelessly exposed with Gyrfalcon in the immediate area.

We next stopped at a well known Harlequin Duck site where a couple of dozen birds formed loose rafts on the sea, the males as usual outnumbering the females and vying for their attention.

Gulls were very much in evidence, several hundred Iceland, Glaucous, Herring, Black-headed, Great Black-backed Gulls plus the occasional Common Gull and Kittiwake.

Another Harlequin site revealed another 50 or so of these beautifully painted creatures. These birds can easily be found in this area from November to May, only 15 minutes from the international airport.

Long-tailed Ducks were abundant and very vocal. Their yodelling call carries great distances and often a distant raft of ducks was identified as soon as we wound the car window down by the yodelling. The even more numerous Eider are also getting into the breeding spirit and their Frankie Howerd "ooooh" was a common feature of the morning.

On Sunday morning I did a much shorter trip here in the Rekjavik area and at the sewage pipe saw my first two Lesser Black-backed Gulls of the year, an American Wigeon drake, 150 Iceland Gulls, 20 Red-throated Divers and an assortment of Razorbills and Guillemots.

So a pleasant couple of birding trips and with spring approaching one hopes it will only get better.

I've not seen a Harlequin yet, although I would love to! One -- a solitary male -- was seen on Saturday at a warm-water outlet on Lake Michigan, just west of Chicago, but inside the Indiana state line.

It's amazing to me what occasionally appears on the lakeshore in Indiana -- often the most interesting stuff in the state, especially in winter.

Another great report Edward. I'm sure you've got a lot of people here thinking about a trip to Iceland. It's long been on my list of places to visit, shame it's so horribily expensive! Artic Fox, Norrthern Lights, Gyrfalcon, I'll just have to keep on dreaming. One day....

Thanks for the messages Paul and Beverly

Paul, if your avatar reveals any footballing allegiances then you too will be in mourning today :-( Cheer yourself up with a trip to Iceland. It's getting cheaper and cheaper!

Beverly, if you happen to be close to that Harelquin then go and have a look becasue they are really stunning. I noticed that you answered my posting at 11.08 GMT. Just what time do you get up in the morning???

What a fantastic array of birds you saw Edward. I thoroughly enjoyed the read but have to admit to a spot of envy with Gyr, Harlequin Duck, Arctic Foxes, American Wigeon plus more.

Iceland is a place I hadn't thought about before as a holiday venue so I haven't a clue about prices. I can see that I am going to have to get some info on the place before not too long.

Edward, What a grand day!
Back in the 80's, a white phase Gyr was a visitor to northern NJ.
I was lucky indeed to view this majestic falcon on 2 occassions before it departed. Fantastic!!
We get Harlequin's, Eider along our coast during migration, great State NJ, you never know what will show up next.

Thanks for the condoleances Edward, but it' only polite to leave a few crumbs for the others! The Premiership and the Champions League will have to do for this season. And tonight I'm going to watch my local team, last in the Second Division, beat Marseille, top of the First, in the French Cup! Well, you have to be optimistic, don't you?

The premiership is well and truly wrapped up!

It will be hard to beat Milan and Barca but I reckon they can do it! I hated saying that!!!!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement Andrew!

That ugly red splodge you use an avatar has already betrayed you loyalties LOL!! But I know from your other postings that you are decent bloke! :) Anyway a good spot of birding always dispels any football-related angst and the sun is shining so I might get out and do some!

Edward

P.S. Hope les Verts win tonight, Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back