• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Neuchatel (1 Viewer)

yren

I am visiting Neuchatel for a week and would like to know if there are good birding sites nearby. I am a beginner so any suggestion is good for me! Thanks!

Thanks! I will definitely check out Fanel and Chablais de Cudrefin. It looks like only 20 minutes away from the city of Neuchatel. I am renting a car and hopefully can see more places. Is it possible to find a guide who speaks English? I am interested in visiting the Jura mountains as well. Thanks again!

Thanks! I will definitely check out Fanel and Chablais de Cudrefin. It looks like only 20 minutes away from the city of Neuchatel. I am renting a car and hopefully can see more places. Is it possible to find a guide who speaks English? I am interested in visiting the Jura mountains as well. Thanks again!

Fanel/Cudrefin is great. Watch out for the Wild Boar there too.

A good spot not too far from Neuchâtel is Creux du Van in the Jura range. It's a big cirque/corrie with some lovely views. Wallcreeper, Crag Martin and Ring Ouzel occur there. There's an outside chance of Alpine Accentor.

The main reason for going there though for me would be the herd of Alpine Ibex. As far as I know they're the only Ibex in the Jura. They're wild animals but not at all shy. Here are some pictures from a recent visit.

Another site in the Jura which would be better for birds is the Chasseral.

ATB
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_3336.JPG
    IMG_3336.JPG
    742.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    563.3 KB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back