• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another adapter question (1 Viewer)

Steve-O

Just a Guy
Hello all!

I recently purchased a Pentax *ist DS and think that is an excellent value (as long as you shoot in RAW). I guess that this question relates to non-digital cameras as well as digital ones...hope that's okay.

I bought the adapter for my 80mm spotting scope and the t-ring that mates it to the camera and everything works fine...I think. I want to get the best out of the combo, so here's the situation...

My adapter has a collar that screws onto the scope, then there is a ~3 inch long tube that screws into that collar, then the t-ring screws onto the tube, then you bayonet to the camera. The bayonet is solid, the t-ring is tight to the adapter and the adapter is tight to the scope - this seems as it should be.

My question is - the collar that screws to the scope has a knurled knob that prevents/allows the lengthening/shortening of the tube between the camera and scope - screwing the tube in or out of the collar changes the focal point and I need to refocus, but, is there an optimal position/length?

Please let me know if this doesn't sound right...this is new to me.

Any thoughts, ideas?

TIA

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back