• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB turns up the heat on Hen Harrier killers (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

RSPB turns up the heat on bird of prey killers

The RSPB has launched a two-pronged attack on those killing hen harriers, one of England's rarest nesting birds of prey, by preparing to launch a round-the-clock nest protection scheme to protect the bird on one of its nature reserves in northern England. The Society is also launching a hen harrier hotline appealing for records of hen harriers on English moorlands.

Last year only ten pairs of hen harrier nested in England, all in the Forest of Bowland, in Lancashire. Regular sightings of several individual harriers around Geltsdale, straddling the Cumbria and Northumberland border, have raised hopes that the birds may nest on the RSPB's Geltsdale nature reserve. The RSPB will launch the £40,000 scheme, including a 24-hour 'vigil', if the birds settle down to nest.

Julian Hughes, RSPB head of species conservation, said: 'Because of relentless persecution the hen harrier has become one of England's rarest birds of prey. Illegal killing is the principal reason why this beautiful bird of prey is absent from almost all areas of suitable moorland across northern England.

'Many of our one million members will be aghast that the RSPB will be forced to spend such a large amount of money protecting birds from persecution on our own land, but without this intense protection recent history tells us the birds, their eggs and chicks are vulnerable to persecution.'

'As a result of persecution hen harriers first disappeared from England's moors around 150 years ago and it is very depressing how little has changed'Since 1995, the RSPB has compiled a shocking catalogue of hen harrier persecution incidents in the Geltsdale area. In 1995, at least seven harrier nests failed due to persecution. In 1997 a male harrier was shot. In 1998, a corpse of a shot harrier was found on the reserve.

In 1999, a female harrier was poisoned. In 2000, a female harrier was shot and in 2001, six eggs mysteriously disappeared from a harrier nest. Hen harriers last nested at Geltsdale in 2003, when four young were raised.

For four years nesting hen harriers in England have been monitored by English Nature. Richard Saunders, English Nature's hen harrier project manager, said: 'As a result of persecution hen harriers first disappeared from England's moors around 150 years ago and it is very depressing how little has changed.

'Over this time managed grouse moors have safeguarded some of our most precious moorland habitats, so it is disappointing that the reputation of shooting is still tarnished by those who continue to persecute one of our rarest and most beautiful birds.'

A UK-wide survey of hen harrier last year showed there has been a 44% per cent increase in hen harrier numbers since 1998. However these increases have occurred largely away from grouse moors, especially Wales, Northern Ireland and western Scotland.

Julian Hughes added: 'The outlook for harriers in northern England and southern Scotland is increasingly bleak. Numbers on grouse moors have fallen and illegal persecution is strongly implicated.

'Police forces recognise that hen harrier persecution is the greatest threat to the bird's long-term future in Britain. Last year they launched Operation Artemis to crack down on those denying this magnificent bird of prey a future in our uplands.'

The RSPB has today launched a hen harrier hotline, urging anyone seeing these birds of prey on English moorland to report their sighting, giving exact details of the bird's location. The Society will use the information to ensure the protection of any nesting hen harriers. Callers can contact the hotline on 01767 680551.

Now who would want to persecute harriers on the grouse moors? I don't think it needs more than one guess, and that's where I'd concentrate my vigilance.

Alan Hill

Chris Monk said:
Richard Saunders, English Nature's hen harrier project manager, said:...'Over this time managed grouse moors have safeguarded some of our most precious moorland habitats.

Alan Hill said:
Now who would want to persecute harriers on the grouse moors? I don't think it needs more than one guess, and that's where I'd concentrate my vigilance.

The implication here is that without keepered grouse moors there wouldn't any suitable habitat. Therefore while it is conventional wisdom to poor wrath on the heads of keepers it is their efforts - on behalf of the moor owners - who provide the very environment the harriers need.

This isn't meant as a defence of persecution - far from it - but it is a dichotomy which hasn't been satisfactorily addressed.

My understanding of the 5 year Langholm project is that succesful breeding of Hen Harriers increased to such an extent that grouse shooting became unviable. Tough you say! Yes but with the decline in grouse went the keepering, the moor management and ultimately - the hen harriers!

Direct protection of other large BOP nests from egg thieves is common place -why has it taken so long to get round to these.

Nigel G said:
The implication here is that without keepered grouse moors there wouldn't any suitable habitat.
Complete cobblers ofcourse.
We have the highest density of breeding Hen Harriers in Europe (if not the world) and we haven't got a single keepered moor.

CJW said:
We have the highest density of breeding Hen Harriers in Europe (if not the world) and we haven't got a single keepered moor.

Very glad to here it - but if it is complete cobblers why did the harrier population on Langholm fall by 90% after keepering ended in 1997.

The value of keepered moors for a variety of species is fully recognised by both RSPB and EN. Yet neither body has the sort of sums of money injected by grouse shooting to carry out the current level of habitat management if the grouse interest disappears. The £40K for protection mentioned in the original post represents about the same sum as would be brought in by 3 days grouse shooting. I'm not suggesting it all goes straight back into management but a lot of does.

Surely we need to find a way to live together on keepered moors. But I also fail to understand why no attempt has been made to re-establish harriers on unkeepered sites were populations of Meadow Pipits and voles are high - such as some of the South West moors and thereby achieving what CJW is fortunate enough to have on the Isle of Man.

Nigel G said:
The value of keepered moors for a variety of species is fully recognised by both RSPB and EN. Yet neither body has the sort of sums of money injected by grouse shooting to carry out the current level of habitat management if the grouse interest disappears. The £40K for protection mentioned in the original post represents about the same sum as would be brought in by 3 days grouse shooting. I'm not suggesting it all goes straight back into management but a lot of does.

Thanks Nigel,

This paragraph sums things up pretty well to which I will add that (upland) grouse moors are poor grazing so have no other commercial value. This means what we see as the bleak and beautiful Scottish Highlands would cease to exist and revert to scrub and (when the soil built up again) woodland to 1500ft or more given global warming. If grouse shooting ended tomorrow we would not see extinction (in the UK of any species) but breeding opportunities for quite a few would be severely limited.

Ian

I don't quite understand why game keepers would want to kill Hen Harriers, They eat small birds and rodents not bloody great Grouse, So why do they allegedly do it.

Nigel G said:
But I also fail to understand why no attempt has been made to re-establish harriers on unkeepered sites were populations of Meadow Pipits and voles are high - such as some of the South West moors
I don't know anything about HH ecology so I'm only guessing, but if the SW moors are unkeepered then there's nothing actually stopping HHs breeding here naturally. After all HHs winter down here. I'm not sure that introducing birds would alter their habits. Could it be that the habitat is not optimal in some way and wouldn't be colonised until the preferred habitats further north are saturated?

russ1610 said:
I don't quite understand why game keepers would want to kill Hen Harriers, They eat small birds and rodents not bloody great Grouse, So why do they allegedly do it.

Russ,

Female Hen Harriers certainly eat 'Bloody great Grouse' maybe not for every meal but quite a few during their stay on the moors. They are also reputed to disturb the shoot by keeping birds on the ground and in cover when they should be flying to their death. I've spent the last 3 years monitoring harriers in North Yorkshire they are a magnificent bird and in my opinion do not deserve the persecution they most certainly get.

Mick

CJW said:

But there aren't any foxes on the Isle of Man either!

RobF said:
But there aren't any foxes on the Isle of Man either!
Don't kid yourself.
Besides, we have plenty of other mammals that like nothing more than to raid the nests of ground-nesting birds - Hedgehogs, rats, polecats. Not to mention corvids galore.

CJW said:
Don't kid yourself.
Besides, we have plenty of other mammals that like nothing more than to raid the nests of ground-nesting birds - Hedgehogs, rats, polecats. Not to mention corvids galore.

Ok, I should have said 'not many' rather than 'not any' foxes on the isle of man but they are certainly at a low density: see link

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/abstract.asp?aid=6&iid=1&ref=0305-1838&vid=33

I would have thought that a hen harrier would be able to defend its nest from the small mammalian predators and crows you mention. But foxes do predate raptor nests, I know of one case in Northumberland where near fledging peregrine chicks at a low level nest were predated by fox, I guess the smell from the prey remains and the chicks draws in predators.

I'm certainly not defending raptor persecution at all, and think the fines should be custodial and applied to the landowners as well as the keepers.

Rob

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Rob

although HH could certainly see off those predators mentioned, I imagine opportunism is often the problem...

Tim

I guess so. When I was working in the Trough of Bowland a newly hatched nest of harriers got snaffled by a passing LBBG!

Why do the harriers do so well on the IoM? Lack of persecution must be the main reason why they are still around, but is there a good population of voles and mipits to support their productivity? I heard someone say that the rats are pretty widespread on the moors over there and were an important part of harrier diet.

Rob

RobF said:
I heard someone say that the rats are pretty widespread on the moors over there and were an important part of harrier diet.
Yep, that's pretty much the mainstay of their diet.

To return to the question as to why gamekeepers would want to persecute hen harriers, as countless instances testify to. Mick (post #9) gives two reasons: (1) they take the grouse chicks (we know they do); and (2) apparently put off the grouse during shoots. I don't know whether these reasons are of equal importance, but if the taking of grouse chicks is the main reason I can't see why some form of compensation couldn't be paid which would obviate this. Mind you I wouldn't be over-enthusiastic about protecting the Trough of Bowland HHs by paying over money to the cash-strapped Duke of Westminster (!!!), but all large raptors could be a threat to farming and sporting interests, so why not pay reasonable compensation; after all that's what the ESS (Environmental Stewardship Scheme) is doing to farmers to promote bird-friendly farming practices. If Golden Eagles take lambs, which they do, pay the farmers for those they take. Surely that would in the end amount to less money than the highly expensive monitoring schemes that are in place.

Alan Hill

I'm pleased to hear that the RSPB have decided at last to do something about the wanton killing of Hen Harriers, I wonder if that means they'll be putting pressure on the local police and fire brigade in the far north of Scotland, (Sutherland and Caithness). The annual burning of the heather moors and heaths by local crofters and others we can guess at has left the prime harrier, Merlin and Short-eared Owl nest sites totally ruined for probably all time. At least 4 known harrier sites, probably a dozen or more Merlins will never nest again in some of these areas. That of course doesn't include all the other wildlife that has been killed and the habitat destroyed. This constant burning has been going on for many years, but the last 2-3 years has seen the worst of it, some areas have been burnt over and over again until even the peat covering has burnt through to the rock! Vast areas between Melvich and Bettyhill on the north coast of Sutherland have been burnt. The criminal arsonists responsible for this destruction are the same ones who do this every year at this time. I'm certain the police know who they are but choose to do nothing about it. Appeals to the so called wildlife liaison officer fall on deaf ears. These people are destroying Schedule One Special Bird nests and habitats, why are the police not apprehending these criminals, where are the RSPB and the Scottish Natural Heritage while this is happening. If I was seen to be destroying these species I would be quickly apprehended and summoned. I'm afraid I dont hold out much hope for the future of these birds unless someone is prepared to put pressure on the police to do their duty.

nirofo.

That makes very grim reading, nirofo. As for the police and the RSPB, I guess it's the usual problem of getting evidence that will prove cast-iron in court. You know how fussy the law is.

hen harriers

Bluetail said:
That makes very grim reading, nirofo. As for the police and the RSPB, I guess it's the usual problem of getting evidence that will prove cast-iron in court. You know how fussy the law is.
read this thread with great interest. there is no doubt that this bird is one of the two most heavily peresecuted raptor in britain. the goshawk being the second. gamekeepers not only destroy this bird due to it taking grouse young some keepers state that grouse behaviour changes when harriers are about and can often ruin the early part of the shooting season. how harrier numbers will ever increase in england facing an extremely concerted and effective cull which due to the isolation of the birds habitat makes prevention almost impossible is of grave concern

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back