• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Sussex Conspiracy (1 Viewer)

robhope

Every month I look forward to reading Birdwatching magazine, especially the UK Bird Sightings section. This month I tried to find the Sussex section to see what I had missed in my patch but to my dismay there was no Sussex roundup in the South East sightings section. I believe that this is part of a heinous plan by jealous Hampshire birders!

Surely there were a few birds in Sussex last month.

:-C

OI!!!! Rob, us jealous! Naaaaaaahhhh......

OK OK you got Pagham, Pulborough, Emsworth etc etc etc. I am a tad jealous. I think you might be right about certain Hants birders stealing your action though, bl**dy Redwing see everything, I'm sure he's done a Noah type gathering of all your birds and has them even as we type, feeding and posing quite happily in his garden! ;)

Between 1890 and about 1910, numerous records of rarities were submitted from the Hastings area, all of which were later rejectes as having been based on specimens killed abroad, imported on ice and mounted by an unscrupulous taxidermist.

The book 'Bristow and the Hastings Rarities' gives the whole story.

Tony

Thanks for the info,i'd never heard of that phenomenon.I'll check it out before long and appreciate the information.

Trevor.

Rob I know in the past when this has happend for Bucks it was to do with the county recoreder not outing in the records due to Holiday or illness, I would imagine it is the same here.

Trevor,

Your local library should be able to get the book (long out of print) - it's by Harrison. 'British Birds' also devoted a whole issue to it, in 1962 I think - again, the library may help.
Good Luck

Tony

Booga said:
bl**dy Redwing see everything, I'm sure he's done a Noah type gathering of all your birds and has them even as we type, feeding and posing quite happily in his garden! ;)

3:) If only you knew what i haven't seen, next to "dipper" in my bird book is a picture of me. 3:)

Can i take it from that, that you missed the waxwings over the weekend, Wil.

Rich

Yup - it was an administarative cock up last month (not my fault I hasten to add<grin>

I've just edited the sightings for this month so you should be ok in the next issue

In previous months, we didn't publish anything because no-one in the county could be be bothered to send us anything! This applies to other counties where there are gaps. Hopefully Sussex should run smoothly from now on.

If there is anyone out there who can regualrly supply sightings for any missing areas eg Staffs, Herts etc, then get in touch with the magazine

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back