• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mating yellow-legs. (1 Viewer)

JANJ said:
There is a lot of "showing michahellis primary pattern" here, thats good! Nice shots
JanJ

I think I found a pair of Yellow-legged Gulls on Lac Leman in Geneva last week. They were the only gulls to be seen at the time and were using this rock as a base. Unfortunately, they were too far away to get a close-up shot on camera but using my bins I could see yellow legs, red tipped yellow beak and what looked like four white dots on the tail. The pic may be too far away to be any good to you but if you can confirm or counter my ID it would be great!

Attachments

• Yellow-legged Gulls, Lac Leman, Geneva.JPG
    Yellow-legged Gulls, Lac Leman, Geneva.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 167
Hi chris in F!
I suppose the rock is the thing above the sign, on the left side. It seems like two small white dots there. So, two small white dots is impossible to id! Sorry Chris, you have to get closer, much closer!
Regards JanJ

JANJ said:
Hi chris in F!
I suppose the rock is the thing above the sign, on the left side. It seems like two small white dots there. So, two small white dots is impossible to id! Sorry Chris, you have to get closer, much closer!
Regards JanJ

Yea, you're absolutely right! It's so frustrating when you don't have the equipment to get closer, much closer! Well, I'll put them down as a possible since they fit all the criteria that I could see for Yellow-legs! Thanks for having a look, anyway. |;|

I wouldn´t be astonished to see michahellis there Chris, there have been breeding attempts all along the Rhine in Germany, especially in cities where houses have flat roofs with gravel on them (Not many Birds though, and sometimes even mixed breeding with Larus argentatus and Larus fuscus). Also more michahellis are summering, or just some time of the year moving along the Rhine between Basel and Nijmegen in the Netherlands and probably further up also (those are mainly young birds though).

Joern Lehmhus said:
I wouldn´t be astonished to see michahellis there Chris, there have been breeding attempts all along the Rhine in Germany, especially in cities where houses have flat roofs with gravel on them (Not many Birds though, and sometimes even mixed breeding with Larus argentatus and Larus fuscus). Also more michahellis are summering, or just some time of the year moving along the Rhine between Basel and Nijmegen in the Netherlands and probably further up also (those are mainly young birds though).

Thanks Joern. This pair were on their own in the middle of Lac Leman with no other gulls in sight at the time that I was there, which could indicate that it was no ordinary pair of gulls. Legs were definitely yellow not pink and their backs were not as dark as black-backed. One dove off the rock to the sea and came back with what looked like a small fish which it fed to the other one. There are plenty of flat roofed buildings by the lakeside and so maybe they were contemplating staying over to breed........ I may be back in Geneva at the end of this month and if this happens I'll see if they are still around.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back