timmyjones
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 21:01
Where will it end up iceland, norway, sweden, denmark or Finland

timmyjones
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 21:01
Icelands my bet

Rob Smallwood
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 23:00
I don't know - but sat at work I enjoyed watching the reports of it tracking up the East coast with its 63 commoner relations!

timmyjones
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 06:34
I managed to calculate how fast it was going passing it off for my sats revision and it has either slowed down from an average of 56mph from Spurn to Scarborough to 13mph from Filey to Northumberland so it made a stop somewhere imbetween and if it carried on going through the night it would have easily made it to iceland

Alan G
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 20:47
I don't know - but sat at work I enjoyed watching the reports of it tracking up the East coast with its 63 commoner relations!

I was lucky enough to see it with it's 63 commoner relatives at St Mary's Island at 17:45 yesterday evening ('twas my report on Birdguides).

I guessed at it being with 30, as opposed to 63, though but admittedly I wasn't taking much notice of it's mates.

I wouldn't mind, but I only went up there to dump some empty wine bottles into the recycling bin and was getting back into the car when I noticed a skeen of geese close offshore heading North with a white fella towards the tail end, and I quickly grabbed the bins (always in tow) to check it out.

A minute or two later ''LittleStintBoy'' popped out from behind some willows to confirm my initial suspicions - I wasn't even aware it was on the move North from Norfolk until 'LSB' mentioned it.

The quickest and luckiest tick ever.........well at least since that White-Tailed Eagle me and ''BlythKeith'' tripped over in the county a few weeks back.

Who was that that shouted 'stringer' ?

;)

Another one of those 'being there at the right time' moments I guess.

B (:

Strange though, that it took from 9am (ish) til 5:45 to make it from East Yorks to Northumberland.

My guess is they decided to stop off at Whitby for lunch - a nice bag of Haddock & Chips for the long journey North perhaps?

Alan

garry1366
Thursday 5th May 2005, 18:21
Hi,

I was lucky enough to find this bird at Spurn, realised it was the Norfolk bird on it's way north but didn't realise until later I'd dropped on what is possibly the first wild one for Yorks. I always assumed watching Spurn if i found a county first it would be something like Blue Robin, ah well that can be my next first.

Garry

Rob Smallwood
Thursday 5th May 2005, 18:29
Wild?

Now you are opening up a brand new debate!

Congratulations on your "first" though - I doubt many would have thought that Snow Goose was missing from the county list.

LSB
Thursday 5th May 2005, 19:23
Wild?

Its wild allright.......Well I would say that being that it was a lifer/patch/year tick..... :bounce: :bounce:

derekjake
Thursday 5th May 2005, 20:30
HI ROB , What were commoner relations pinks or greys. REGARDS DEREKJAKE.

Alan G
Thursday 5th May 2005, 20:59
HI ROB , What were commoner relations pinks or greys. REGARDS DEREKJAKE.

Pink Feet.

Alan

garry1366
Thursday 5th May 2005, 23:57
Rob,
There is one other record with good credentials, a bird flying over Doncaster on 1/1/86 with 130 pinks. However in the guidelines published in Yorkshire Birding in the mid nineties for county listing no Snow Geese were deemed countable. Personally 359 for Yorkshire now.

Garry

blgp_birder
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 16:15
Wild?

Of course its wild! :)

Rob Smallwood
Thursday 12th May 2005, 00:06
Explain why?

garry1366
Thursday 12th May 2005, 17:29
Don't you know Rob? It's because it was originally in Norfolk, Doh

Rob Smallwood
Thursday 12th May 2005, 19:50
Don't you know Rob? It's because it was originally in Norfolk, Doh

Of course! Silly me!

Alan G
Thursday 12th May 2005, 20:23
Of course! Silly me!

Rob

Would you be so kind as to offer some words to the wise as to why you suspect it may not be a wild Snow Goose, otherwise this 'interesting' debate could go back and forward for some time to come...........

;)

Alan

Rob Smallwood
Thursday 12th May 2005, 22:02
Alan,

I never said it wasn't wild - I just said that opened up a new debate!

Like most wildfowl you can never be really sure about its credentials - although this one has as good a chance as most.

What was really good was that it allowed the flock of geese to be tracked northwards.

blgp_birder
Saturday 14th May 2005, 09:10
Rob,
Ok, here are a few reasons:

1) its a 1st-winter
2) arrived in Norfolk - perfect location with up to 140,000 pinks in the county
3) arrived in January - perfect time of year for a vagrant goose
4) it follows rare geese such as Ross's in previous years!
5) it naffed off with Pinkfeet back up north
6) it also arrived with Pinkfeet.
7) if you say this isnt wild, you are basically questioning the credentials of Greenland Whitefronts that were also in the Holkham flock - and theyre gen!

Hope this helps
Josh

Rob Smallwood
Saturday 14th May 2005, 09:57
Josh,

Which part of my post did you not understand ?

I have never made a case for the bird being escape - merely pointing out that you can never be sure.

1) Agreed
2) Agreed
3) Agreed
4) Ross's? How many escape or feral Ross's have been in Norfolk over the last few years? (along with Lesser Canadas, Snow, Lesser White-front, Red-breasted Goose etc and others who "probably" escaped - lets face it, an escapee in Norfolk would have to try pretty hard not to end up with a goose flock in Norfolk!)
5 & 6) Agreed but hardly compelling.
7) Your quantum leap from my post to this assertion defies belief!

Let's not fall out - the bird has a pretty good provenance and may well, in fact probably will get accepted as "wild". But, we will still never know for sure!

I'm off now to get Mandarin, Egyptian Goose and Red-crested Pochard on my yearlist!!

blgp_birder
Saturday 14th May 2005, 13:26
Hi Rob,

Remember the 1st-winter Ross's that turned up a few years ago, and wintered up until the 2003/04 winter? It didn't come back this winter.

Yeh i know there are lots of Ross's that are feral - notably RINGED birds on eg Stiffkey. When I saw THE Ross's there was another bird in the flock - ringed.

"we will still never know for sure!"
Everyone on these forums seems to think a rare bird is either a hybrid or an escape! Amazing!

You're right we will never know - but we'll never know whether any vagrant duck is an escape unless it eats bread out of your hand.

Did you get the Snow Goose this winter then?
Josh