• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Vulcan 7x35 (1 Viewer)

Bencw

This week I bought a Swift I have not seen before, it has not arrived yet so I cant take photo,s, or give any info on how it views yet, but these are the sellers photos, it is called the Swift Vulcan 7x35 poro, I bought it as it seemed unusual, welcome for any info about this model.
Ed, many thanks for the info on the HR5, be grateful if you know anything about this one? .

Ben

Attachments

• vulcan.jpg
    vulcan.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 436
  • vulcan2.jpg
    vulcan2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 367
Nice find, Ben.
It was the binocular that Leonard Nimoy used.

Ty Binastro, of course, how could he use any other |:D|

Just found Ed's replies to an earlier post, thanks, it seems this is the model 714, the 718 MK11 looks the best one to have. Interesting catologue page thanks Ed, I like the Sea Hawk 6x30, that is one I have not seen come up for sale.

Last edited:
Swift Vulcan arrived, by post not by warp drive!! Took some photo's, nicely made binocular, it has hard twist up eye cups that give decent relief,and a click stop diopter. FOV 393ft@1000yds, not bad, not great. It says on the front tripod adapter made in japan for swift, model 714, serial number.
On the rear prism plate under the ocular arm it say's JB6, so made by Asahi Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd., Tokyo, 1960s. Clean inside, good condition, BUT, a country mile out of alignment.
Looking through each side seperately, seems bright, clear good image, but will know better once I have aligned them.

Attachments

• SWIFT-VULCAN-7X35.JPG
    SWIFT-VULCAN-7X35.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 338
  • SWIFT-VULCAN-7X35..JPG
    SWIFT-VULCAN-7X35..JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 369
  • SWIFT-VULCAN-7X35...JPG
    SWIFT-VULCAN-7X35...JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Hi Ben,

There were three Vulcan models: 714, 718, and 719, the last of which was a 6x-12x zoom.

I had inferred yours to be a Model 714, because Model 718 had a very wide field of 525 ft. (10 deg). All three were listed in the 1969 Swift price catalog, but unfortunately a picture of the 714 wasn't shown. I’ve attached pictures of the other two.

The Model 714 retailed for $124.50 compared to $132.00 for the Model 804 Audubon. The wide-angle 718 was more expensive at $142.95. Unless there's some other indication of date they all came from the 1969 era.

In the scheme of things they are somewhat rare.

Ed

PS. Mind sharing the serial number?
PPS. I have a margin note saying that Fan Tau referred to the wide-angel Model 718 as "The little gem."
PPPS. Another margin note by Gene Harryman that the manufacturer was "APO." Most likely Asahi-Pentax Optical.
PPPPS. Correction: The name is Asahi Optical Company.
PPPPPS. Never mind. JB-6 = Asahi Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd., Tokyo. (Got it?!)

Attachments

• Swift Vulcan 1969.jpg
    Swift Vulcan 1969.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Thanks ED,

Serial number is 662024 ( the 4 could be possibly an A its hard to read, but I think it's a 4 ) any help ?

Ben

Yup, 1966.

Yours is the lowest (earliest) s/n I have for them.
Also interesting because I didn't expect the s/n to be date coded.

Keep looking for Model 718. ;)

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Swift Vulcan arrived, by post not by warp drive!! Took some photo's, nicely made binocular, it has hard twist up eye cups that give decent relief,and a click stop diopter. FOV 393ft@1000yds, not bad, not great. It says on the front tripod adapter made in japan for swift, model 714, serial number.
On the rear prism plate under the ocular arm it say's JB6, so made by Asahi Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd., Tokyo, 1960s. Clean inside, good condition, BUT, a country mile out of alignment.
Looking through each side seperately, seems bright, clear good image, but will know better once I have aligned them.

Ben - I think this is made by Fuji and that you'll see the FPO logo on the hinge cap. Is it possible that it's JB8 and not JB6?

Graham

Hi Ben,

There were three Vulcan models: 714, 718, and 719, the last of which was a 6x-12x zoom.

I had inferred yours to be a Model 714, because Model 718 had a very wide field of 525 ft. (10 deg). All three were listed in the 1969 Swift price catalog, but unfortunately a picture of the 714 wasn't shown. I’ve attached pictures of the other two.

The Model 714 retailed for $124.50 compared to $132.00 for the Model 804 Audubon. The wide-angle 718 was more expensive at $142.95. Unless there's some other indication of date they all came from the 1969 era.

In the scheme of things they are somewhat rare.

Ed

PS. Mind sharing the serial number?
PPS. I have a margin note saying that Fan Tau referred to the wide-angel Model 718 as "The little gem."
PPPS. Another margin note by Gene Harryman that the manufacturer was "APO." Most likely Asahi-Pentax Optical.
PPPPS. Correction: The name is Asahi Optical Company.
PPPPPS. Never mind. JB-6 = Asahi Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd., Tokyo. (Got it?!)

Ed - actually the model shown in the brochure is the 714 - this is Ben's model (I also have one). The wide angle and zoom variants are much rarer.

Graham

Ed - actually the model shown in the brochure is the 714 - this is Ben's model (I also have one). The wide angle and zoom variants are much rarer.

Graham

Graham,

:h?: I don't follow your comment. Pictures of Models 718 and 719 were in the catalog, but Model 714 was not. Are you saying the catalog pictures or captions attached to Post #7 are wrong?

Ed

Graham,

:h?: I don't follow your comment. Pictures of Models 718 and 719 were in the catalog, but Model 714 was not. Are you saying the catalog pictures or captions attached to Post #7 are wrong?

Ed

Hi Ed,

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The image at top right is of a 714 and not, as captioned, a 718. The Erfle oculars in the 718 are huge in comparison so it's very obvious. The people who put the brochure together made a mistake. Sorry I didn't make this clear.

Not only have I never seen a 718 but I have seen only a very few photos of one. I have a photo from Fan Tao but presumably the TOS prevent me from posting it here.

Graham

Hi Ben,

Ok is the FPO logo on the hinge cap?

Graham

Hi Graham,

Yes, it has FPO logo on the hinge cap. So Fuji? I have seen confusing JB numbers before, a Binuxit I have has one makers JB mark on the body and a completely different makers JB mark on the ocular arm.

Ben

Last edited:
Hi Graham,

Yes, it has FPO logo on the hinge cap. So Fuji? I have seen confusing JB numbers before, a Binuxit I have has one makers JB mark on the body and a completely different makers JB mark on the ocular arm.

Ben

All the Vulcans I've known about were made by Fuji, so I assume this was made by Fuji too - but if so I can't account for the JB6 stamp. What you say about your Binuxit glass is interesting - I've not known that before.

Graham

I know I'm a bit after the fact here, but I own 3 Swift Vulcan's, and I agree with Graham. They are clearly marked J-B8 / J-E55. Of course, the FPO designation has always been associated with J-B8. And you can also find "Meibo" labeled versions of these same binoculars. I have one of those too.

Last edited:
Hi Graham,

Ben
Hello Ben,

I am confused. Was not the Binuxit a Leitz binocular and made in Germany?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back