• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally, the nestbox is in use... (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
My mother told me this morning that two days ago, my Father saw a bird go into the bluebird nestbox that I put up a year ago, and hasn't left it since. I am skeptical, but I will ask my father to describe the bird, hopefully it isn't a Starling or House Sparrow, although Starlings do make up residence somewhere in the area. In the twelve months since I put it up, the nestbox has collected spiders and centipedes and cobwebs and all kinds of creepy-crawly stuff, I am surprised that any bird would want to live in such a filthy nestbox...

anyways, I would want to leave the birds alone, but I want to make sure that no starlings or House Sparrows are using the nest box. What should I do?

gthang said:
My mother told me this morning that two days ago, my Father saw a bird go into the bluebird nestbox that I put up a year ago, and hasn't left it since. I am skeptical, but I will ask my father to describe the bird, hopefully it isn't a Starling or House Sparrow, although Starlings do make up residence somewhere in the area. In the twelve months since I put it up, the nestbox has collected spiders and centipedes and cobwebs and all kinds of creepy-crawly stuff, I am surprised that any bird would want to live in such a filthy nestbox...

anyways, I would want to leave the birds alone, but I want to make sure that no starlings or House Sparrows are using the nest box. What should I do?
Hi gthang I would not disturb the birds whatever they are just keep a eye open you will soon see what it is nesting in your box if they are building a nest they will be in & out or even if they are feeding there is only the incubation period you will have to be patient when only the male will be back & forth.

Regards Snapper. PS keep us updated the your findings.

Thanks for the reply.

I posted a new thread about adding a spy-type camera to the nestbox during the non-breeding season. Check that out and I look forward to any advice you can give me.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back