• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best tree guide for Europe? (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Any comments on best guides for trees of Europe? Whichever guide I chose would have to include the Baltic States, i.e. north-east Europe? Considering the Collins Guide, but as I live out of the UK, will not get a chance to look at it before ordering.

Tree Guide

Dear Jos

I have long used Alan Mitchell's 'A Field Guide to the Trees of Britain and Northern Europe' (Collins, 1974) which is excellent, if lacking in more recent information, changes in nomenclature etc. It's a really usable pocket field book, with exceptionally good illustrations, and concise helpful information.
I use it in conjunction with Oleg Polunin's 'Trees and Bushes of Europe' (OUP, 1976) which has better cover of southern Europe, and photographs, which are often helpful.
There is, however, a wonderful new, if rather large volume, which feels like a companion to Blamey/Grey-Wilson's 'An Illustrated Dlora of Britain and Northern Europe (Hodder & Stoughton, 1989) [which is, itself, extremely good on trees of that region] which I have seen. I believe it is published by Cassell, who now publish the Blamey/Grey-Wilson, I think. It is not a pocket field book, but a beautiful reference work. Sorry not to have the author and title.

Best wishes

David

Is this Alan Mitchell's 'A Field Guide to the Trees of Britain and Northern Europe' (Collins, 1974) considered better than the newer Collins Tree Guide that I see advertised?

Jos Stratford said:
Is this Alan Mitchell's 'A Field Guide to the Trees of Britain and Northern Europe' (Collins, 1974) considered better than the newer Collins Tree Guide that I see advertised?
I don't know much about trees but have the Mitchell book (which you can get cheaply on eBay--I paid about £3). I must admit that I find it hard to use... there are so many possible trees to choose from and I don't have the level of interest where I'm prepared to spend ages IDing one tree (OK, I'm lazy). My interest is mainly in identifying trees that might be of value in finding moths... and sometimes I find that the tree I'm looking for is not too well presented (e.g. for aspen there's just a picture of one leaf).
The new Collins one is in similar format to the renowned Collins Bird Guide. It looks lovely but I've only glanced at it in a bookshop. My guess would be that it's a winner... have you tried googling to see if you can find any reviews? I'd be interested to know what you find out!
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back