• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Palanga seaducks (1 Viewer)

Surrey_Ed

I am contemplating a quick trip to Palanga in early March.

In Gorman's Birding in Eastern Europe, he says that Steller's Eider are present in numbers here, at this time. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

I am struggling to find any literature/reports for this area at this time of year.

Thanks.

I think the only regular site in the Baltic States is at Undva on Saaremaa island in Estonia. If the main aim of your trip is to see Steller's Eider, I would head there. Others may be able to update you on the situation though.

Hello,

As I live in a Western Lithuania and visit the Baltic sea now and then, can tell You, that Steller's Eiders are no more.
Sure we get an observation or several per year (0 for 2016), but nowadays Steller's are rare gem. Not like 10 years ago or so.

My last 3 were on 2015-12-30 in a Curonian Spit. Actually those were the last observed in LTU up to date.

The spot called Nemirseta near Palanga bridge was one of the best spot here for Steller's. But due to the lack of food supply they had to find a better wintering spot.

I just hope to see them here again one day.

Yep, above is true - when I arrived in Lithuania, flocks of 400-600 were possible. Today, zero or near zero birds per winter. Also declining in number in Estonia I believe, but flocks still fairly easy most winters off the tip of Undva on Saaremaa, or the big bay just beyond.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back