• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-throated Bee-eater at Dakhla bay (1 Viewer)

I think escape is as improbable as a wild bird, given that Western Sahara has no zoos, bird parks etc.

Maybe somebody knows any natural circumstances which can ruffle bird feathers like that? The Bee-eaters feathers are not worn, but ruffled. Fallen in salty water?

I think escape is as improbable as a wild bird, given that Western Sahara has no zoos, bird parks etc.

Maybe somebody knows any natural circumstances which can ruffle bird feathers like that? The Bee-eaters feathers are not worn, but ruffled. Fallen in salty water?

Agree this feather don't look merely worn, but actively damaged. Posted this on the other thread, but it looks like it's been in a cloth bag for a while - on a far more limited scale, I have seen woodpeckers with wings like that coming out of ringer's bags (and these have only been in the bags for short period while stored for processing) - the protruding wings tips rub against the bags and abrade, fr some reason, more so than with the tails.

Whilst wild origin would be well within expectations, there is south-north transport on this route - maybe an opportunist-caught bird further south, then transported north in the hope of a sale? Released or escaped in Dakhla?

That said, as an intra-African migrant, I agree there seems to be little real reason why the species, even if not this individual, would not occur in this region occasionally.

Jos, my last comment was partly joking. However, I understand the possibilities and respect everybody’s opinion but personally I think “catching the bird in the south, transport it and release it at Dakhla” (for whatever reason) a very unlikely possibility. The same for the escape.

Thankfully the bird stayed there long enough for other birders to see and photograph it. Here is “a more plausible explanation for the worn appearance” (in Max Berlijn’ words): “....I saw it also sitting in the middle of an acacia; this, and his age, could explain its worn feathers”.

Also, Lars Petersson took a photo (added to the link in OP) of the bird showing the symmetric moult of flight feathers (I don’t know what this information can add, but can help if someone knows the moult cycle of the species).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back