• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iPhone Depth of Field (1 Viewer)

PNWAlan

I have been digiscoping for a little over a month now and I am having problems getting enough depth of field. My set-up is: iPhone 7+, PhoneSkope adapter, Procamera app, Vortex Razor HD 16-48x scope.

The Procamera app seems to be preset to shoot 1/60 sec at f 2.8 and automatically set iso to hit those settings. In the attached photo I manually set shutter speed to 1/125 sec and the app still defaults to f 2.8 and adjusts iso to get correct exposure at those settings. As you can see focus is falling off towards the sparrows tail. I would appreciate any tips from experienced digiscopers on how to get more depth of field.

This photo was taken with the 2x lens on the iPhone and the scope set to lowest power.

Attachments

• fSparrow2-4-1-17PNWsmall.jpg
    fSparrow2-4-1-17PNWsmall.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 162
Hi!

There is no possibility to increase depth of field within that setting.

The iPhone's aperture is fixed to f/2,8 and cannot be closed by any app.
The exposure can be controlled by exposure time and ISO values only.

Even when using a dslr with a lens plus scope you can't increase depth of focus by stepping aperture down as long as the scope's exit pupil is smaller than the exfective entrance pupil of your lens.

For example: If you zoom to 32x your Vortex delivers an exit pupil of 2mm in diameter. That means, if you used a dslr for digiscoping with a 32mm lens you will get the same exposure values and depth of field within the entire range from completely opened aperture down to f/16 (= 2mm entrance pupil). If you stop down further to f/22 or f/32 your depth of field will increase (with lower resolution due to diffraction).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back