• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a jackal? (1 Viewer)

There was a pair and the bigger one did look pretty much wolf-like but that would have to be extremely unusual. I'll do some checking up with the local wildlife guys.

The jackal in India is the Golden Jackal which is larger and more wolf like than the Side-striped and Black-backed jackals of Africa. and does show a dark back. Indian Wolves are smaller and rangier than their northern cousins so it may be either. I think that I would plump for Golden Jackal.

David

I would think we are seeing an example of convergent evolution here as I believe that Coyotes are "small wolves", closer to the Red Wolf of eastern North America than the widespread Grey Wolf. I always though the Jackals were a distinct group within the genus Canis. I don't know where the Simien Wolf fits into the picture, or the newly discovered Nubian Wolf.

Unfortunately the "Scottish" wolf has been extinct for over 260 years.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back