• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Edgbaston Reservoir (1 Viewer)

Andrew Simons

Sightings today included a Common Sandpiper, 3 White Wagtails and 2 Pied Wagtails along the base of the dam. There were also 30+ Swallows, 3 Sand Martins and a single House Martin hawking over the reservoir.

A hour around Edgbaston this morning in the drizzle. Good numbers of gulls but nothing unusual (at least as far as I could see). Gulls were repeatedly flushed by a Sparrowhawk. Several Cormorants and Great Crested Grebes fishing.

Goldeneye (eclipse) with the Tufted Ducks at the southern end of the reservoir this morning.

Lots of big gulls around, in various stages of development, but I think most/all of them were LBBG.

1st winter Caspian Gull yesterday morning, around 10am. On its own at the dam end of the reservoir. Big brute of a bird, lovely to see. It's been suggested that this is one of the birds currently roosting overnight at Bartley.

1st winter Caspian Gull yesterday morning, around 10am. On its own at the dam end of the reservoir. Big brute of a bird, lovely to see. It's been suggested that this is one of the birds currently roosting overnight at Bartley.

Any photos Rob
Cheers Dave

Any photos Rob
Cheers Dave

Nothing worth sharing, poor quality long-distance camera phone shot is as good as it ever gets I'm afraid.

The vast majority of my birding gets done in short bursts between other commitments, so I tend to be very mobile, usually bins only.

Just thought - are you asking in the hope of comparing with the Caspian hybrid at Sandwell? Definitely a different bird, no hint of grey on the flanks of the Edgbaston bird last weekend. Closest photo I can find (plumage at least) is the rear bird in the second shot on this page:
http://www.birdersplayground.co.uk/Caspian Gulls 1st years - 5.html

Last edited:
1w Caspian Gull on the ice in the centre of the res early yesterday afternoon. Possibly the bird from Sandwell Valley that seems to have moved off. Went back to the car to get my 'scope for a better view, but couldn't relocate it.

Cheers

Matt

As reported on Twitter today by Peter Forbes, a Kingfisher at Edgbaston reservoir.

3 sanderlings this morning till 11am at least in the corner of the reservoir near the sailing club and totally oblivious to people 20m away walking across the dam. This was part of a movement across the UK. Waders here don't stop long due to the disturbance along the shoreline but these were remarkably confiding. Also here a pair of GC grebes with two chicks .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back