• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are they late? (1 Viewer)

beckster

beckster
I am worried about "my" hummers. I have seen only one male at my feeders (granted "they all look alike", so there may be more than one) - where are the females? It has been a cold winter in CT, but I am growing concerned. Does anyone know more about this?

beckster said:
I am worried about "my" hummers. I have seen only one male at my feeders (granted "they all look alike", so there may be more than one) - where are the females? It has been a cold winter in CT, but I am growing concerned. Does anyone know more about this?

Morning Beckster

Can offer no scientific reasons about where the Hummers are this year, but can tell you that “ours” are late as well (Northern Virginia). We usually see our first Hummers around the 15th of April, and I hang a feeder about this time. We usually see males first then the females will show up. We saw our first Hummer on Sunday the 15 of May (female) and I hung a few more feeders, but have only spotted one female since the 15th. Our spring temperatures have been below normal for most of the spring.

Coincidentally perhaps, but last year at this time I had spotted Osprey chicks in their nest and although the nests have nearly doubled in number (5 last year 9 this year) I have not seen a chick to date.

Having said all that, the Robins came through right on time.

Guess all we can do is hope the weather forecasters that Hummers use, are much better that those we watch or listen to and their migration was postponed for a couple of weeks due to the weather? Hoping for some sightings this weekend as our weather is “suppose” to get back to normal i.e. high 70’s low 80’s.

Good luck

Dick

dicklynch said:
Morning Beckster

Can offer no scientific reasons about where the Hummers are this year, but can tell you that “ours” are late as well (Northern Virginia). We usually see our first Hummers around the 15th of April, and I hang a feeder about this time. We usually see males first then the females will show up. We saw our first Hummer on Sunday the 15 of May (female) and I hung a few more feeders, but have only spotted one female since the 15th. Our spring temperatures have been below normal for most of the spring.

Coincidentally perhaps, but last year at this time I had spotted Osprey chicks in their nest and although the nests have nearly doubled in number (5 last year 9 this year) I have not seen a chick to date.

Having said all that, the Robins came through right on time.

Guess all we can do is hope the weather forecasters that Hummers use, are much better that those we watch or listen to and their migration was postponed for a couple of weeks due to the weather? Hoping for some sightings this weekend as our weather is “suppose” to get back to normal i.e. high 70’s low 80’s.

Good luck

Dick

Thanks Dick, I feel a little better and I hope this is a trend related to our cold spring (meant to say 'spring' in my original post, not 'winter'!).
I know the bugs are plentiful and they eat mainly insects, so I know the food sources are there. Interestingly, I several hairy woodpeckers who have mastered the sugar water hummer feeders and also the tube thistle seed feeders. It cracks me up to see them there. This is the first year I have seen the 'peckers do this and I have to give them credit for being so resourceful. Must beat scrabbling up and down those trees all day!
beckster

I have been feeding my hummers for a month now or a little over. I can't not remember the exact date. We have just built our house in a remote location that has never seen bird feeders before and it took us awhile to get anything. The male hummers however, showed up the first day we hung the feeder out. I haven't seen a female yet. We only get the ruby throat here.
Hope to see a female soon though.

beckster said:
I know the bugs are plentiful and they eat mainly insects, so I know the food sources are there.

Sure like to see your source for this Beckster! Yes, they do eat insects, but by far they eat more nectar than insects by volume.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

I have heard several people say that about eating more bugs that nectar. I have even seen some website as well, I can't rememeber the sites right off because I have never considered breeding bugs.... nasty... lol....and didn't think much of it.

Though, even if it is true, its hard to believe that after all the time I see my hummingbirds at my feeders, flowers, and perching on the nearby shrubs and trees, its hard to imagine them spending enough time to eat EVEN MORE bugs. I think they just eat bugs for some protien, not any more than they drink nectar for their high energy demands. I may be wrong. I just couldn't find anything on the ratio of nectar to bugs that hummingbirds eat.

Last edited:
humminbird said:
Sure like to see your source for this Beckster! Yes, they do eat insects, but by far they eat more nectar than insects by volume.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Hi Humminbird,
I think I may have read the 'more insects than nectar' on a reliable website. I know it's going to drive me crazy and I'll spend hours trying to run it down! I was surprised when I did read it, but I'm certainly no expert. When I think about it, however, it does seem hard to believe that nectar fulfills most of their nutritional requirements (not unlike my trying to live on chocolate!).

They eat a lot of insects, but it is certainly NOT their primary food source. Most of their energy comes from the nectar they eat, though nectar does not provide protein and some other needed elements and thus they move to insects. The majority of their intake is nectar, but they get most of their nutritional value (other than energy) from insects. Check out Sheries response to a similar comment on the thread about instant nectar mixes.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Still no females as of yet.....My males are here all the time. One even perches in a near by bush for what seems like all day and all night long. Either his nest is close by, or he just isn't interested in a female yet. LOL....

Is it common to see females at feeders. This is my first year of really trying to feed hummers. I recall seeing them at some other feeders years ago, but never paid much attention since.

At my feeders, I have three hummers. Two females and one male. The male showed up last week, but the females have been here since april. I see the male once a day or so, the females once everey 10-12 minutes.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back