• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The odd Hawk would be nice! (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

Now i love my Garden birds , i love all birds but it would be nice to see Sparrowhawk or Buzzard now and again. Is there a way of attracting them Without drawing attention to the Magpies?
I live next to a Massive farm so it must be a possibility?

Free said:
Now i love my Garden birds , i love all birds but it would be nice to see Sparrowhawk or Buzzard now and again. Is there a way of attracting them Without drawing attention to the Magpies?
I live next to a Massive farm so it must be a possibility?

You'll get them eventually if you have any woodland nearby. What kind of terrain is it?

Hi phil, Its quite treeless really and the farm is a pick your own farm.This allows for a lack of Magpies and crows i think. But the land out the back is countryside with a trout lake about a mile into it. Its a very old Farm ,400 years to be precise and its one of these that has old machinary just lying around rusting since the 50's . There are few hedges apart from mine at the back.
So your answer is really Flat Farm land with little trees.

Free said:
Hi phil, Its quite treeless really and the farm is a pick your own farm.This allows for a lack of Magpies and crows i think. But the land out the back is countryside with a trout lake about a mile into it. Its a very old Farm ,400 years to be precise and its one of these that has old machinary just lying around rusting since the 50's . There are few hedges apart from mine at the back.
So your answer is really Flat Farm land with little trees.

Yep, both Buzzard and Sparrowhawk thrive in mixed field and woodland environments, and Sparrowhawk also in towns with plentiful parkland or woodland edge. Sounds like you just ain't got enough trees to maintain a good population. Still not impossible for a Sparrowhawk to come idling by, but Buzzard are definitely bound to woodland, except in mountainous areas, as they require concealed or high nesting sites.

I have had visits by Sparrowhawks, twice it took something from the hedge and one time it sat on the shed roof for a short while, the point is they don't stay very long and it's just pot luck if you are looking out at the right time, chances are you have had them already.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back