• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sinharaja day trip (1 Viewer)

JD47

I am on a family holiday in March 2018, we are staying in Hikkaduwa from 17th to 23rd, is it possible to organise a day trip to Sinharaja reserve ,from this destination, for 3 or 4 people, on either of the following dates 18th,19th, 21st or 22nd and if so how much would this trip cost. Thanks for any info.
JohnD

Hi,

Organizing a trip to Sinharaja from Hikkaduwa should be easy. Driving time is around 2 hrs as roads are windy and bumpy at places. Best is probably to take a taxi (van), either ask your hotel to support in this or contact a local taxi/transport company in Hikkaduwa.

I would opt for an overnight stay, to allow a full day visit. There are quite a few accommodations near Sinharaja NP. Since you are travelling from Hikkaduwa I guess you better look for options in Deniyaya on the southern edge of the park. (We stayed at Blue Magpie Lodge but that is on the northern side). Guides are available for hire at the NP entrance.

Check e.g. Tridadvisor. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1010261-d7761377-Reviews-Sinharaja_Rainforest_View_Villa-Deniyaya_Southern_Province.html#MAPVIEW

There can be many leeches at times in the park so bringing long trousers and socks/boots is recommended. When we visited the park there were only few but that was in the dry season/February.

Hope this helps.

Just to say: did a day trip with Amila last week. Took 2.5 hours to Sinharaja which was pretty good going. Gave us 8 hours classic birding and a great day out

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back