• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breydon + Berney (1 Viewer)

Karl J

OS Landranger 134 for these
BREYDON WATER - Tidal estuary and part of the Norfolk broads, parking at Asda Gt Yarmouth and walk under the bridge ( you're now on Weavers Way footpath ),TG 518081, there's an information board + 2 hides - 1st one is 100 yds under the bridge, the 2nd one overlooks the last area to be flooded at high tide. There's also a stile to lean on next to the hide. Good area for waders at high tide but the main body of the river is a long way away at low tide. Dunlin, Ringed plover, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Avocet amongst others, also plenty of winter waterfowl and various Gulls. Terns in summer. At low tide the river and many of the birds are closer to the South shore, which can also be better when the sun is low in the sky. Its about a mile walk from Asda - to TG 515080. Angles Way footpath is marked on the OS - just follow that. Both shores offer quite a picturesque walk along the river with flat landscape, windmills etc

BERNEY MARSH - If you follow Weavers Way path along the North shore of Breydon Water for about 5 miles or so you'll come to Berney, an isolated ( can be lonely ), area of wide, flat, open marshland. Lots of waterfowl here in winter, also some waders. Countryside / farmland birds along the way inc Lapwing, Kestrel, Barn Owl, Meadow Pipit etc also Marsh Harrier possible. Can be large flocks of Geese in winter. There are good views of Berney marshes to be had from the footpath but there is also a viewing area at the back of the pub (but the pub itself is closed in the winter) and there is an information board at the windmill. There are no roads out here so parking is at Yarmouth Asda (best bet) or the village of Halvergate but if you do this then take a map- OS Landranger 134. Trains do occasionally run out here but need careful checking - Sunday is by far the best day to get a train to Berney.

A good days outing is to do both areas, one in the morning - walk to the other in the afternoon.

ps. I know they're RSPB - and I'm assuming most people on here are members ( maybe not ??? ) - and there is lots written elsewhere about them, but have put these on cos there isnt much else in the Norfolk section at the minute. And it seems as good a place as any to start.

Last edited:
I was in this 'neck of the woods' today and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Carlos,thanks for taking the trouble to provide details;would never have found it otherwise.
Very valuable part of Bird Forum the local info.

I did produce a full report,but the Laptop crashed before posting and I lost the lot.
Moral of my tale,beware of first impressions,Gt Yarmouth,Breydon Water is a great natural area.

Just noticed that a Spoonbill was apparently seen there 'early afternoon'
Well, I saw about 40 other species,including all the usual suspects and the diminutive Little Stint,so how did I miss a Spoonbill??

Same way I missed 300 Avocet about 6 weeks ago !

Glad it was useful, I've never seen a Little Stint. No doubt I'll be up there sometime over the weekend, hopefully may see one then. A Spoonbill would be great as well, thats interesting as there are several in various locations in East Anglia at the minute I believe.

The Little Stint was in the scrapes before the first Hide,as was a Greenshank and a Common Sandpiper.
I estimated about 200 Avocet in the high tide roost,more than I've ever seen before.
Also,large flocks of Goldfinch flitting about further along the pathway.
Nice 'Local Patch' to have,Carlos.

Last edited:
Right .... no excuse now !

I haven't been for a couple of weeks ... holiday etc ... good to see those Avocet are still there. The Goldfinch congregate on the blue Sea Lavender when it goes to seed, with the Linnet & Starling as well. Its quite a sight when they all go up.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back