• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suprise Find (1 Viewer)

Stewart J.

One of my favourite walks is along the bank of the river South Tyne downriver for a mile or even two from the tiny village where I live. My species list is not huge but we have many of the upland breeders (Dipper, Goosander, Grey Wagtail, Buzzard, Oystercatcher, Common Sandpiper etc) and over the years have recorded the odd Osprey, Peregrine. Merlin etc and more unusually a Fulmar and an Arctic Skua. (single records for each of the latter two in the 15 years I've lived and birded here) For those who are not sure where I am its the narrowest east-west part of England with Carlisle 20+ miles to the west and Newcastle 30+ miles East so the latter are very unusal sightings.

Enough of the preamble, took a walk this afternoon and sat on the riverbank to watch two pairs of Buzzards trying to outdo each other in the display department. As I sat 2 scruffy looking juvenile Dippers flew onto the opposite river bank and started begging from an adult preening on a rock. As I watched 1 flew off and as it did a flash of blue chased it joined by another. Kingfishers! I was enthralled they gave up the chase after only a few yards and flew to a perch. I have only ever recorded Kingfishers over the years on a handfull of occasions always singles usually in late autumn. They are not common up here in Northumberland with only a few pairs breeding in the county so this was quite a find.

Both birds then started plunge diving and much to my astonishment one flew into a hole in bankside which was partially screened by tree roots, emerging a minute later. Then the second bird also flew into the hole with a fish. I moved further off and secreted myself and both birds continued to fish from perches occasionally disapearing behind the tree roots carrying a small fish.

I returned home absolutely ecstatic, it just reinforces how satisfying it is to have a local patch and shows how a suprise visitor could be just around the corner.

Apologies for the lengthy ramble, I'm so chuffed.

Stewart

B :) B :) B :)

A wonderful find, Stewart. And not so much a "visitor" by the sound of it, either! Hope they become a permanent fixture for you.

Dippers and Kingfishers, the ingredients for a cracking riverside walk!

I watched a nesting pair of Dippers over the season a few years ago on the local river and it was very uplifting to see the young come out so keep going back to the Kingfishers and maybe you'll catch a glimpse of the fluffy chicks?

Andrew said:
I watched a nesting pair of Dippers over the season a few years ago on the local river and it was very uplifting to see the young come out so keep going back to the Kingfishers and maybe you'll catch a glimpse of the fluffy chicks?

What a thought, being able to watch baby kingfishers learning to fish on your local patch. How wonderful. I wouldn't be able to keep away.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back